Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

monitor failing? Screen abruptly widens

(!)

Junior Member with 25 posts.

14-Jul-2003, 06:12 PM #1
monitor failing? Screen abruptly widens
The monitor is a Viewsonic E771, recently acquired used. It usually works fine. But sometimes, for no apparent reason, the screen image suddenly stretches horizontally (I think about 30 percent), stretching the image wide and hiding the edges. The vertical dimension stays the same. The on-screen controls work normally but changing width with them has no effect. Sometimes, but not always, shutting down and restarting right away gets me back to normal. Sometimes it seems to need a longer time out. I thought of heat as a factor (ambient temps are about 65-90) but I'm not really seeing a correlation. The person I got it from (as a gift) says it never did this before.

Is the monitor failing? Is it something weird with the driver?
Please advise.

Stephen
Member with 127 posts.

14-Jul-2003, 09:24 PM #2
Welcome to the Forums.

Do you have an old monitor or computer you can use to check with? We need to narrow down what component it is that's causing the problem. Right now it could be the drivers, the video card, or the monitor.

Here's some things you can use to narrow the possibilities down.

Plug an old monitor into the video card, install the drivers for it, and run it to see if it does the same thing. Then run the Viewsonic monitor on another computer, if you have access to one, and see if it gives the same problem.

Post back all the results.

14-Jul-2003, 09:46 PM #3
Thanks, but it may be a while before I can try all these things. I was hoping the symptoms might help narrow the possibilities. Because the problem is intermittent--days or even weeks can go by trouble-free, then I may get the symptom several times in one day--it's hard to test component by component.
Member with 127 posts.

14-Jul-2003, 10:52 PM #4
Ok, without knowing what's causing the problem it's hard to give specific's. Here are some things you can check.

Check the Video and power cords for damage and good connection.
Reinstall the Drivers for the moniter.

If your handy with tools then you can take the back off the monitor and blow all the dust out of it and check for foriegn objects like paper clips,etc. But read this first. Very important!http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm the same info on TV's apply to monitors. Don't try it if your not 100% sure you understand the risks and have a good idea of what your doing. If you proceed, a handy tip is to draw the outline of the monitor and screw locations on a piece of cardboard and sticking the screws in the cardboard where they go as soon as you take them out.

You can also take the cover off the computer and blow it out. Pay special attention to the CPU, memory, power supply and video card. It's safer to work in than the monitor, no really high voltages. Just don't dislodge anything and ground yourself to the chassis before starting.
Senior Member with 3,956 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jul-2003, 10:58 PM #5
Had a monitor like that before luckily it was still under warranty took it back and got it replaced the monitor brand new and shiny was no good. Eventually your monitor will not work anymore if you purchased it recently see if you can take it back for a replacement.

15-Jul-2003, 11:52 AM #6
Thanks Giskard. I'm going out of town but may experiment with drivers--probably not monitor--when I get back.

Thanks Pronute. Sounds like it may really be the monitor. I can't return it--it was free!--and it's not too steep to buy a decent replacement. It would just be nice to understand what causes this kind of thing.
Member with 485 posts.

Experience: Einstein
15-Jul-2003, 01:26 PM #7
Sometimes just changing the refresh rate will fix that.

The monitor was probably trying to make the picture fit the screen and sometimes failing because the refresh rate was too close to where it switches sync modes.

15-Jul-2003, 02:34 PM #8
Thanks Aaron. That sounds plausible. But how do I change the refresh rate and what should I change it to? I'm not very tech-savvy. When I looked at the Display options @ the Win98se control panel I didn't see a way to do this.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jul-2003, 02:42 PM #9
Also, Try getting the monitor plugged into a different outlet than the rest of the PC, preferably by itself. It could be a non-sufficient voltage problem. Meaning, you could be trying to pull to much juice from one outlet.

15-Jul-2003, 03:09 PM #10
Interesting thought, but there's not much plugged in there besides the monitor and the PC. Just a fax machine and a radio.
Could that really pull too much juice? If it could, how would NSV make the screen jump wide and then stay wide for a while (or until I shut down and restart, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't)?
Member with 485 posts.

Experience: Einstein
15-Jul-2003, 03:13 PM #11
Right-click the desktop, choose "Properties", go to the Settings tab and hit the "Advanced" button on the bottom right.

You should see a Monitor tab where you can adjust it. The Adapter tab might have the settings too, it depends on the type of card and it's drivers.

15-Jul-2003, 03:30 PM #12
Thanks Aaron for hanging in and pointing me to the right buttons. Windows was using drivers for my old monitor. I'd forgotten to change the monitor setting to my new one. Anyway, I stayed with the "optimal" refresh rate (not knowing what to try instead) and sure enough I got a message back that the rate had changed (though I don't know from what to what). Maybe this will solve the problem . . . I may not know for quite a while (because I'll be away from my desk for a couple of weeks starting Thursday) but I'm feeling hopeful.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!