Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bios update necessary?

(!)

Member with 103 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 05:22 PM #1
Question Bios update necessary?
Just a question in between I guess.....
My bios is about 3 years old..... Is it necessary to update it (although I doubt that I will still find some files for that bios) or should I leave it alone when there aren't any problems (as far as I know, and that ain't far)?

P3, 650 MHz
Mobo: Asus med 2001
BIOS properties:
  • BIOS Type: Award Medallion
  • Award BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
  • Award BIOS message: ASUS MED 2001 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004
  • Date System BIOS: 9/20/00
  • Date Video BIOS: 02/10/03
BIOS manufactor:
Thanks!
Senior Member with 4,823 posts.

Experience: no longer reading the "dummies" books
28-Jul-2003, 05:29 PM #2
Golden Rule #1

If ain't broke...... don't fix it

There should be no problem finding an update, but I don't recommend it if you don't need to
Member with 12,038 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 05:30 PM #3
That's not the correct motherboard model number I don't beleive.
Asus marks there boards with the name and model number around the memory sockets.
Or else you could use belarc advisor to tell you the motherboard make and model, generally will pick it up

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Then you can check for a bios update, but, if you have know problems, I wouldn't update the bios, only do it if necessary.
But it would be nice to have the info available if it needs to be done
Member with 103 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 06:22 PM #4
Yeah, I thought that was the advice I was going to get!

But still, how does one know when the bios doesn't work well? Does the computer not start? Blue screens all over the place? Or is it something else?

Oh, and the motherboard according to that program is:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. MED 2001 REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS MED 2001 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004 09/20/2000

And where would I find that update then? I've looked on www.phoenix.com and www.asus.com.... Which name should I enter into the serach box?

Thanks for the replies!
Member with 6,832 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 07:11 PM #5
You won’t get any performance gains from a bios update. Unless you are having interface problems the only reason I can think of for updating the bios might be if you bought a new hard drive and it was larger than the bios will recognize.

A bad bios flash can render the computer useless unless you can buy a new bios chip for it – and that might be problematic. You really don’t want to be messing with it if it isn’t necessary. You seem locked in to this, so when you find out what MB you have get back and someone can point you toward some good instructions.

It might be a good idea to update the chipset drivers, but you usually have to find out what motherboard you have to find the chipset. You haven’t come close to that yet. Download the personal edition of AIDA32 and it will likely identify the MB for you. http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
Member with 103 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 07:30 PM #6
I just posted the mobo name and stuff in my last post, and my info in the first post I got with aida.....

And I'm not locked into this.... I'm just following advice.... It's good to have the info ready about the mobo update when you need it, so that's why I asked for a place and name to look for it.....
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2003, 08:22 PM #7
And if you want another opinion..........leave it alone!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,674 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 08:49 PM #8
Unless the bios update addresses a problem you are having such as incompatibility, processor support, hd support, etc; then I would leave it alone. Updating the bios is not difficult, however if you are inexperienced there is the possibility of rendering your board unbootable.

Does a bios update improve performance? Sometimes yes and sometimes no; it can improve performance via improved register values, higher fsb options, improved ram timing options, etc. On a board that old, I do not think you will see a significant improvement in performance.

28-Jul-2003, 10:15 PM #9
It probably would be a good idea for you to know what MB you have if you are going to keep the computer for a while. All it appears you have posted so far is the BIOS – twice in the second post. If AIDA32 doesn’t list the MB you might have to open the case and try to find it written somewhere.
Member with 75 posts.

28-Jul-2003, 10:51 PM #10
I wouldn't trust AIDA32 because sometimes it is completely wrong on model numbers. Its an incredible utility that noone should be without and most of the time it is very correct but it reported me as having a MSI MS-6507E, but when i opened up my case and had a look for myself i found MSI MS-6579 printed on the motherboard. I can't seem to find this model on the MSI site though which is strage but i did find it listed as being one of the motherboards HP uses for the same type model of pc i have.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Jul-2003, 08:53 AM #11
The MSI MS-6507E and MSI MS-6579 may indeed be the same motherboards under the lettering. It won't be the first time a vendor has stamped the same product with multiple part numbers. This is frequently done to allow an OEM to claim a unique part, while still selling the standard product.
Member with 103 posts.

29-Jul-2003, 10:57 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by slipe:
It probably would be a good idea for you to know what MB you have if you are going to keep the computer for a while. All it appears you have posted so far is the BIOS – twice in the second post. If AIDA32 doesn’t list the MB you might have to open the case and try to find it written somewhere.
This is what Aida says:
MoBo ID: 09/20/2000-VT694X-MED 2001
Is this the mobo name I should know?
Member with 11,195 posts.

29-Jul-2003, 02:23 PM #13
and phoenix charge for their bios updates
Member with 6,832 posts.

29-Jul-2003, 07:30 PM #14
My best guess is that it is a Medion MED2001 board which is an OEM Asus CUV4X-M. VT694X is the Via chipset – it is usually a good idea to keep up on the Via 4 in 1 driver updates for the chipset.
Member with 1,742 posts.

Experience: Like the name says.........
29-Jul-2003, 10:30 PM #15
"should I leave it alone when there aren't any problems (as far as I know,"

Unless you're making some hardware changes or having software problems (which by what you said, you aren't) , I suggest leaving things alone. slipes guesstimation could be right on the money, however since there are no problems(and being an older system) I would leave well enough alone until it's necessary to update.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!