Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Hard Drive getting HOT

(!)

Member with 148 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2003, 02:44 AM #1
Solved: Hard Drive getting HOT
I replaced my psu of 250 Watts to 350 Watts now the hard drive is getting hot. I am running win98, FIC mobo, AMD 500, 1 HD, 1 CD rom, ATI video card and a burner.
can a psu have too much watts for the hard drive and that is why it is getting too hot? It is getting so hot I can not handle it
Senior Member with 931 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 02:54 AM #2
In theory, it shouldn't cause your drive to overheat. If there is a defect in the power supply, it is possible. Did you check the heat off of the drive before installing the PSU?
Member with 148 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 04:09 AM #3
The old psu went out, so no I did not check the heat off the drive before installing the new psu.
Computer Specs
Member with 16,270 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2003, 08:28 AM #4
You can use Speedfan to keep an eye on those temps ifyour motherboard has the proper sensors. It monitors Hard drive, motherboard and cpu temps.

P.S. my hard drive operates around 40 degrees
Member with 148 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 08:53 AM #5
Is there any other reasons why the drives are getting HOT
Computer Specs
Member with 16,270 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2003, 08:55 AM #6
Improper ventilation could be a major cause. Do you have any case fans and is your pc in an area of good ventilation of cool air ?
Member with 6,832 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 09:05 AM #7
If you have never checked the HD before I think it likely you are in the normal range. Is the drive too hot to keep your finger on? If not it is probably normal HDs feel hot when you touch them.
Senior Member with 1,629 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 02:23 PM #8
Hot HDs can depend on various factors...

As I have posted recently on this board, when upgrading - look at a new case.... why?

Older cases (3+ years ago, especially) or cheap cases were designed for CPUs and drives from back then. Where the HD would be up against a soild wall of metal. This wasn't so bad in the days of 5400RPM and slower drives such as 3GB and smaller.

But with todays HiPerformacne drives, they generate HEAT.

I've replaced cases because of these older desgins...

A good case will allow air flow over the drive itself... If not, no amount of fans will keep it cool.

So make sure the case has AIR vents in the front on the bezel and on the inside as well. It makes a HUGE differnce.
Member with 148 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 08:23 PM #9
I have another pc Pentium ll 400, 80 HD, no case fan, 250Watt psu, it runs great. The HD only gets warm.
The pc that I am have problems with, has AMD 500, 2 HD's 10gb & 40gb, no case fan. It runs great except the HD's get very HOT. I can put my finger on the HD's but I would not want to keep them there for long.

03-Aug-2003, 10:10 PM #10
"Runs great" doesn't mean you have heat issues. Prolonged heat will reduce the life of your hardware.

Not having a case fan is NOT helping your problem. Look at several sites, there are reasons why people have 1-8 fans in their systems. Like I said, OLDER designed cases didn't have fans. Your two HDs are most likely side by side - which means they are making each other hotter (most likely the 40gb).

I just touched my 120gb drive thats been quite busy for the past 8 mins - its a little warm.

Lets try this trick to explain AIR FLOW.

Place 1 hand about 6-7 inches from your mouth, position it so you can see it the flat bottom. Blow hard on it. Feel it?

Pretend that is MY hard drive.

Now place your other hand almost to your lips, same position (Dont move your other hand) And blow...

Does the first hand feel anything?

This is what YOUR hard drive is feeling. Nothing. No air, no way to move the HEAT away, other than your power supply. And that is why it is HOT.

Take a picture of your PCs insides, load it up on a site and we'll tell ya where the problems are. Yahoo/Geocities are free.
Member with 148 posts.

04-Aug-2003, 03:43 AM #11
Compilerxp
I moved the 10GB HD away from the other HD, now it does not get hot. I guess if my daughter wants 2 HD's she will have to buy a new case. There is only room for 3 drivers in the 3.5 bay and that makes them too close.
I want to thank you for helping me out.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,206 posts.

04-Aug-2003, 08:06 AM #12
If you have an unused 5.25 bay, you can install the drive with rails.

04-Aug-2003, 01:14 PM #13
Yeah... having drives that close can do it... so it seems like it worked out then

There is a science to making a GOOD CASE... A bigger size of the case doesn't mean it'll be better. I remember a guy BOASTING how his 15fan system was "RAD" and had pics of it... It was a huge case... but it was designed (originally) in 1994 - but the company "updated" it to hold modern motherboards.

A modern case, a lot smaller would have done a better job with only a few fans (I have 2 in my case).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!