Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CRT monitor eye damage

(!)

Member with 45 posts.

29-Aug-2003, 02:22 AM #1
CRT monitor eye damage
My recent studies in school have resulted in me using the computer almost all the time. I'm starting to get concerned about the effect my monitor has on my vision. What is the effect CRTs have at different distances? Should I just go ahead and get a LCD? Do LCDs have any effect on vision? Also, this may sound stupid, but one time I put on sunglasses and it seemed like it might have helped a little while using the CRT. Does anybody know if that could make a difference?
Senior Member with 1,629 posts.

29-Aug-2003, 02:49 AM #2
CRTs can be damaging to the eye, especially older ones or monitors not properly set up.

Hence, good solid displays with the highest possible refresh rate is desired. 75Hz and up - but in an office type setting with flouresent lighting, going above 60hz can cause flickering (thats the rate that the ceiling lights flash on & off).

The higher the resolution, the harder it can be on the eyes - so higher quality monitors is required.

My 19" Samsung is very sharp at 1600x1200, and can go evern higher and still be sharp - but text is too small... while a standard $250~300 Samsung 19" monitor isn't as sharp at such high res... but still very good for 1280x1024.

LCDs are very easy on the eyes, very chrisp. No radiation from front or back.
Member with 97 posts.

29-Aug-2003, 05:40 PM #3
The HSE in the uk reccomend that anyone classified as a "user" of computers (User is a fairly vague term but a rough guide given to me is a person who spends 4 hours or more per day using a pc) should take regular breaks from looking at the screen (CRT or TFT) at least once per hour with the break lasting 10 - 15 minutes.

If you wear glasses, you may need to have ones specificly made for use with the VDU.

Joey
Member with 234 posts.

29-Aug-2003, 05:52 PM #4
lcd monitors although seem brighter, cause less strain on the eyes... but as joeyd has said you still need to take regular breaks...
the other option is for you to keep your crt monitor and get a polarization screen for it, this will cut down on the uv's and the glare.. but you'll still need to take breaks...
Member with 68 posts.

29-Aug-2003, 06:27 PM #5
Use 800 by 600 screen size or next one up (1024*768 pels). Dont go any higher or you will strain to see the text and icons.
Make sure the refresh rate is 80Hz or more, say 85 or 100.
In the advanced settings of the Display Properties window, set the DPI to 120, ie LARGE.
Dont use a CRT for more than about 40 min at a time. Then take a 10min break or more.
Sit at least 2 1/2 feet from the monitor. Preferably 3 - 4 feet.
Use an LCD monitor if possible.
Turn down the lighting in the room, and turn down the brightness of the monitor. Also make sure that the contrast is not too high.

Look away from the monitor regularly at a distant object - it allows your eyes to relax and helps to stop them going red towards the nose side (increase of blood to the small muscles). This can cause short sightedness if it is a regular problem for you, so take precautions now! If you get this in one eye, you are probably sitting to one side of the monitor. If it effects both then move back as well.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2003, 10:22 PM #6
The subject of this post is precisely the reason I purchased a LCD monitor. Prior to doing so, I had a 19" Trinitron CRT monitor and these 64 year old eyes would really be tired after 4 - 5 hours of using my PC. I do not pretend to know all the specific details regarding cause and effect, but I can tell you catagorically, I do not suffer from eye strain and naggy little headaches since I started using the LCD monitor.

Regarding the brightness of a LCD monitor. I definately had to turn down the brightness control. The default setting was really bright.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!