Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What does refresh rate mean

(!)

Member with 238 posts.

06-Dec-2003, 05:41 PM #1
What does refresh rate mean
when i play lots of games it asks what to make the refresh rate lstuff like 85htz or 55htz or othere numbers what it mean the higher you put it the better or the lower you put is better
Senior Member with 506 posts.

06-Dec-2003, 05:44 PM #2
the refresh rate is the frequency at which your monitor projects a new image to the screen. Typically I believe higher frequency or refresh rate is better, meaning the image on screen is refreshed more often.
Member with 238 posts.

06-Dec-2003, 05:50 PM #3
so i should always put it on the highest possoble or is there any good reson to put it on low
Senior Member with 506 posts.

06-Dec-2003, 06:00 PM #4
I guess that depends on your actual system... but I would set it as high as you can.

Make a test for yourself also.. like something easy.. maybe open MS Word and print a bold letter D in a huge font, you can see what it looks like before.. smooth edges and such.. then change the settings and open the document again... notice a difference??
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2003, 07:30 PM #5
It's how many times the screen refreshes itself...if you set it low, (Under ~70-75) it'll hurt your eyes after a while when you look at the desktop. The only reason to set it low would be if your monitor or graphics card can't handle that high of a refresh rate at the given resolution. If you have a higher resolution, it's typically harder for most monitors and graphics cards to use a high refresh rate (My monitor can only do a 60hz refresh rate at 1280x1024 - it hurts my eyes too much, so I stick with 1152x864.)
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2003, 10:56 PM #6
Here's link to a site for just about anything you can think of. I entered "Refresh Rate' in the site search feature and came up with this.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/monitor5.htm

The site (howstuffworks) has been invaluable in my learning process (still is). Browse around the site, you'll like it.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Dec-2003, 11:16 PM #7
Hmm, I can really think of no good reason to have a low refresh rate, besides the monitor not being able to handle a high one.
Member with 1,270 posts.

Experience: Old Hardware Guy, ICs wor
07-Dec-2003, 12:49 AM #8
Quote:
Hmm, I can really think of no good reason to have a low refresh rate, besides the monitor not being able to handle a high one.
Hmm thats true to a point, but I can think of one reason to avoid overkill, because REALLY high refresh rates seem to cause fatigue and problems with your eyes more so than a low one (we're talking 100+hz) Several ergonomic studies have shown that high refresh rates starting around 92hz (depends on the person) and above cause strange brain reactions that can lead to fatigue, sometimes interfering later in the day with your sleep. Generally dont bother going above 85hz as the effects of refresh rates beyond that aren't clear as of now.

This may be due to the todays monitors having some type of flicker pattern above 90hz or it might be due to the refresh speed itself.

Just one reason to use a high but not too high refresh rate.

Cheers
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!