Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

external hard drive not recognized in Windows XP "My Computer"

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

20-Mar-2004, 03:22 AM #1
Angry external hard drive not recognized in Windows XP "My Computer"
I recently bought a Western Digital firewire/USB 2.0 combo drive for my Dell laptop running Windows XP Home edition. It worked fine once. When I went to use it again it would not register in "My Computer." It is recognized in device manager and no conflicts appear. There are no new/rolled back drivers available. In Disk Management in Console it appears but shows a large portion of unallocated space. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work.

Could there be a corrupt Windows file? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-Mar-2004, 04:38 AM #2
If it shows unallocated space (how much?), then the drive should be partitioned and the partitions formatted.

What sizes are we talking about? Unallocated space will not appear in My Computer, but only partitions that are formatted and ready to use.

If you have TweakUI or other tweakers, be sure that the drive is not hidden from My Computer.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

20-Mar-2004, 08:05 AM #3
111 GB of 120 is unallocated. I will try partitioning and formatting but I don't understand why it worked and showed up in "My Computer" when I first installed the drive. Thanks...Dominic
Computer Specs
Member with 1,048 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Mar-2004, 09:14 AM #4
Just a possibility...I purchased an ACOMDATA external HD 3-4 months back. Installed and it worked perfectly the first time. After that it would not show up just as you described. I contacted ACOMDATA and they said that I need to turn it off when finished using it and on again when I need to access it. I can of course leave it on once I have it turned on as long as the computer itself is on and working. Since then I have had no problems. Still I find that have to turn it on each time is rather odd but I can live with that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!