Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Junking an old PC - What needs to be done.

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 10:38 AM #1
Junking an old PC - What needs to be done.
My friend is junking her old PC. What should she do to make sure all old files are completely gone and cannot be recovered?
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Apr-2004, 10:43 AM #2
Where is she junking it to? Keep the hard drive, you might be able to use it in another system for backup storage. You can format it with format c: and/or download Maxtor's drive diagnostic program (free) and write zeros and ones to it.
Member with 5,654 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 11:24 AM #3
It's good that your friend is aware of the potential problem in disposing of her old computer.

Get her to read this article and, according to where her computer is going, at the very least to follow Aca Candy's advice or even to try the 'sanitizing' referred to;http://www.computer.org/security/v1n...m?SMSESSION=NO

27-Apr-2004, 11:29 AM #4
Yeah just remove the HDD, or use Fdisk and then format to be sure!
Senior Member with 1,525 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 11:58 AM #5
Formating will be sure of NOTHING. All it does is remove the pointers that Windows needs to know where it stored the data. You have to use an actual drive wiping utility actually remove the data. By some accounts it is still not 100% safe even then. The only 100% safe procedure is to physically destroy the platters inside the drive.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,741 posts.

Experience: sudo give me your money
27-Apr-2004, 02:25 PM #6
the best and most viable solution is to write ones and zeroes to the drive a couple of times. even this can be undone, but im sure the average person cant afford the equipment and the average billionaire doesnt have access to it...
Senior Member with 1,525 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 02:39 PM #7
I totally agree with you Mobius, for all intents and purposes 99% is good enough. Most people don't have anything on their computers that would be worth what it takes to retrieve it.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2004, 02:39 PM #8
The best and most viable solution is to break out the sledgehammer and blowtorch. A good archwelder works wonders on a hard drive..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,741 posts.

Experience: sudo give me your money
27-Apr-2004, 02:45 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
I totally agree with you Mobius, for all intents and purposes 99% is good enough. Most people don't have anything on their computers that would be worth what it takes to retrieve it.
maybe Kathy works for a government agency? in that case, the sledgehammer is perfect. bu then again, if she did work for a government agancy, she wouldnt ask us for help would she?

27-Apr-2004, 03:10 PM #10
I'll have my friend ship it off with the next Marine heading to Iraq. A bomb or two should take care of it (just kiddin' - just in case someone takes offense)!!
Senior Member with 3,956 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 04:21 PM #11
7 seconds on high in the microwave will make any hard drive completely irretrievable
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 04:29 PM #12
Lol, don't you know you can't put metal in the microwave
Member with 323 posts.

27-Apr-2004, 05:19 PM #13
LMAO!!! Take it to a junkyard and stick it to the electronic magnet they use to pick up junked cars.
Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2004, 11:03 PM #14
Drill a few holes in it and it is as good as gone! Atleast thats what pedophile Pete told me.
Senior Member with 1,298 posts.

29-Apr-2004, 06:19 PM #15
The best way is to get one of them suitcase nuclear weapons. Put the drive on top and blow everything into atoms. Note direction of wind and hope atoms get scrambled.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!