Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop duplicate display on screen

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-May-2004, 05:33 PM #1
Laptop duplicate display on screen
Have a Sony PCGF490 which shrinks the image to less than a full display both horizontal and vertical and then partially duplicates this image again, about 2" from the bottom of the display. In Win98 it displays duplicate icons on the display. A 1/2' high horizontal, grey band separates the two images. Happens in Windows 98 or booting from a DOS floppy. Problem starts as soon as I get the Sony logo after post. I temporarily swapped out the display and inverter with a display from a Sony PCGF430 (slightly smaller display) and the problem went away. Thinking the 490 LCD was defective, I ordered a replacement but still have the same problem. An external monitor does not exhibit the same problem. The internal LCD cable 'appears' intact. Any good ideas? Thanks, Jerry
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,433 posts.

11-May-2004, 02:52 AM #2
Check the refresh rates. This sounds to me like the scannining is out on the laptop screen.

Last edited by DaveBurnett; 11-May-2004 at 03:02 AM..

11-May-2004, 08:48 AM #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't find any reference to refresh rates in the bios setup. Since it happens even if I boot to a DOS 5.0 floppy, it looks like a hardware issue. Still open to any suggestions out there! Thanks, Jerry
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,433 posts.

11-May-2004, 11:31 AM #4
On my laptop (different make) there is a set of dip switches under the keyboard that need to be set correctly for the type of screen.
It will happen in DOS. The default will apply until the video card drivers become active.

11-May-2004, 01:54 PM #5
Dave, thanks for 'hangin in there' with the followup reply. I took a closer look at the LCD cable under magnification and discovered a trace near the connector that had lifted up. I swapped out this cable with a similar one & the problem was resolved. Thanks again. Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!