Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Speakers very faint, even when volume is turned up all the way

(!)

Junior Member with 19 posts.

30-May-2004, 09:35 PM #1
Speakers very faint, even when volume is turned up all the way
I recently moved my computer. When I reconnected my speakers, the sound is very faint, even though the volume is turned all the way up. The speakers are connected properly. I have a sound card installed in the PCI slot. Is there some settings in the BIOs that I need to change? The faint sound is VERY frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

from
nicole t

I am running on win xp
512 mb ram
1.79 Ghz
sound card: SB PCI(WDM)
Senior Member with 1,298 posts.

30-May-2004, 10:04 PM #2
H,mmm did you check the volume control on both the speakers and in the software? One or the other could be set to minimum. Cycle the volume control pot full down to full up on the speaker, maybe a dead spot in the pot. It can happen. Also you might have it full down and you think it is full up. Turn speakers On / Off. Remove and replug the speaker jack in the computer, making sure it is fully seated. Try a different software program to play via the speakers.

If all else fails try a second pair of speakers. That will allow you to isolate the problem to the speakers or in the computer.
Senior Member with 1,693 posts.

30-May-2004, 10:53 PM #3
Also check that the speakers are plugged into the correct socket,it's happened to me before now
Senior Member with 3,992 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-May-2004, 08:24 AM #4
Yes check that the speakers are plugged into the correct output of the computer. Also check that you have plugged the power supply into the speakers and that it is connected to the wall. Sometimes the power connection comes out when people move the speakers and they forget to connect it again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!