Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What determines how fast a video will render?

(!)

Junior Member with 19 posts.

14-Jun-2004, 03:34 PM #1
Exclamation What determines how fast a video will render?
I am currently running an HP-pav zd7000 series laptop.
-Pen 4 2.8 GHz
-Win Xp Home ed.
-2 x 256 MB DDR SDRAM
-80 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
-64 MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) FX Go5600

I use my miniDV dig cam for school projects. Video rendering is the only painful part about these projects. It isn't completely pitiful, but it does take an awful amount of time. What should I upgrade to help make the rendering faster? More mem? (this laptop supports up to 2GB but that would be VERY expensive). Faster hardrive? Better videocard? I know all of these things would help to make things faster, but considering what I already have, what SHOULD I upgrade without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Jun-2004, 04:03 PM #2
I'm not sure there's a ton of improvement to be had. Rendering the video from the DV cam has nothing to do with your video board, it's strictly a CPU intensive operation. More speed = faster processor.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,531 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2004, 04:41 PM #3
Increased RAM would have a minimal effect on your system as it is. What you'd really need for more improvement is a faster processor as johnwill said, with a nice and high L2 cache and FSB, with some good DDR RAM....

If you're really into video editing and rendering, then you should save up the cash you were going to spend on your laptop and build a desktop specifically for that.

EDIT: when your doing processor-heavy stuff on your laptop, make sure its plugged into the wall via your AC adapter...When your laptop isn't plugged into the wall the processor normally underclocks itself by a huge margin.

Last edited by WarC; 14-Jun-2004 at 05:01 PM..

14-Jun-2004, 05:52 PM #4
Would a faster processor really make a noticeable difference? I thought Pen 4 2.8 GHz was pretty fast.

However, if a new processor is the bottom line, then building a desktop for vid editing as you mentioned would be the way to go. What are some specifications I should shoot for?

Thanks again
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2004, 07:18 PM #5
You could probably double your rendering speed over the laptop with the correct selection of components, perhaps a little more. You'd really have to do some detailed performance benchmarks on the laptop to see where it stands, then compare them to the screaming system you're thinking about.

14-Jun-2004, 10:36 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill
the correct selection of components
Could you by any chance elaborate on what I should shop for? Processor, memory, hd, vid card, etc ...

Thanks!
Computer Specs

15-Jun-2004, 09:09 AM #7
You should be shopping for the fastest processor you can buy, perhaps the latest AMD 64 bit model, and dual channel DDR memory. The hard disk will have much less effect on the rendering speed, since you aren't nearly reaching the maximum capability of even a standard IDE drive in this process. As I mentioned, the video board has nothing to do with the rendering speed.

I'll confess that I haven't kept up with the very latest and fastest stuff, since I have no requirement for maximum speed, and you pay dearly for that last 10-15% in the performance game. I'm still running stuff in the 2.0-2.4 ghz range here, and it's plenty fast for what I do.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!