Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I need a CPU torture test.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

27-Jun-2004, 04:20 PM #1
I need a CPU torture test.
I need a freeware program that will torture the cpu so I can se how hot I'll be able to get it under full load for about 15 minutes which is more than this machine will ever get. I have one called cpu load but I had another one awhile back that really seemed to give her the treatment. Anybody know of any? I can't remember my name anymore, let alone a program. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,171 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jun-2004, 04:48 PM #2
Are you thinking of Prime95?

Edit:

Here's a whole list of test/Benchmarks: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 04:55 PM #3
Thats it. Thanks Triple6.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,544 posts.

Experience: Have caught the Tech bug Virus
27-Jun-2004, 04:55 PM #4
I runn three apps. together to get my system to 100%. They are Seti@Home, Adaware and Spy-bot.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 05:16 PM #5
Yeah I can dig that. What I am doing is testing a new heat sink I bought today. I went and bought a thermaltake volcano 11+ and didn't want to hear it sound like a 747 ready for take off so I put the probe under the CPU and set it up for auto.
I can keep an athlon 2400+ at 33 C with it, but that is with the jumper on going full bore.
She sits at idle at about 43 C and I haven't been able to get her above 50 C no matter what I have done. Thermaltakes idea of cooling and mine must be different because although the fan does kick up and keep it at 50 C or cooler, the fan never really picks up to even half speed. It is quiet this way. I'd really like to just plug it to the motherboard but the instructions say the fan uses 8.4 watts and not to do that. If I could do it I could control it with speedfan from the board.
Oh well, I guess 43 idle and 50 pegged isn't too bad and after the grease has time to settle in I may get a little cooler. I can always hope.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,544 posts.

Experience: Have caught the Tech bug Virus
27-Jun-2004, 05:23 PM #6
Yeh my prescotts a cooker. I have the Zalman listed below and AC5. Idle I'm @ 41c-42c but under load (100%) I run 53c-54c. I guess thats not to bad considering that Intels specs say Low 70's should be top temp.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 05:35 PM #7
Yeah. This athlon is supposed to run at temps up to 85, but I really don't want to get anywhere near that. I'd get skeered. Right now I am down to 42 so I think the grease might be starting to take.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 06:02 PM #8
My Barton 2500+ O/C to 2337Mhz runs at 44 degrees at moderate load with a motherbaord temp of 26 degrees with a Thermaltake Silent Boost Heatsink. My alarm is set to go at 50 degrees - and it hasn't yet but summers just starting.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 06:23 PM #9
I am holding at 42 right now and I know the paste hasn't had time to cure. I am happy as a pig in slop. I used the probe because I just didn't want to be fooling with knobs or listening to the fan going full tilt. I can keep it cooler with the jumper on but man that is just too much noise. I had installed the probe just in case it ended up being too loud wide open. I am glad I did.
I figure you used it also or you would be running cooler even though you are OC'd.
I just couldn't take it in here with that fan at 4800 rpm. I can't get her above 50 no matter what, well I saw 51 once and the fan came up and dropped her back to 48. That was with prime95 and cpuload both giving her the business at the same time. I'll keep speedfan in startup for a few more days just to keep an eye on it, and then I'll just start it when I want to take a look. Man this is great, I have been fighting heat for quite awhile and step by step it has come down. This thing used to run at 65 centigrade, that is smoking.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 06:31 PM #10
Now I'll have to edit my profile.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2004, 06:35 PM #11
Yes, a fan at 4800RPM would indeed be loud. The fan I selected only runs at approximately 2500 RPM - its not a temperature controlled/variable speed but the result is that the computer is quiet; even with a total of 8 fans (4 Case, 1 CPU, 1 Video Card, 2 PowerSupply). I also only used the thermal compound that came with the heatsink, not anything fancier like Artic Silver.

27-Jun-2004, 06:38 PM #12
Yeah, I used the white gook also.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!