Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best way to clean laptop keyboard (under/between keys)

(!)

Senior Member with 753 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 04:02 AM #1
Best way to clean laptop keyboard (under/between keys)
Its hard cause they are scissor keys and dont have the spacing that standard keyboards have beteween the keys. Will a can of air work? Im not sure if the plastic tube will fit between to blow the dust out.

I occasionally turn it upside down and shake it like mad too, which helps.
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Poorlostsole
04-Jul-2004, 04:38 AM #2
might try a vacumm

:P
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,926 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2004, 07:03 AM #3
F_W:

A brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner hose works wonders for sucking up everything(dust, hair, food particles, skin flaking, etc.) between those keys.

Turning your laptop upside down and shaking it hard is a good way to damage or loosen something inside.
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 11:27 AM #4
I just blew out one of my machines with a 60 lb tank of dry nitrogen. What a trip. The dust seemed to disintegrate. I had the regulator set down to 50 psi but the volume of the blast really cleaned her up from 3 foot away. The room got kinda dusty but man the machine is clean. I wouldn't really recommend this though. I figure if you got too close or set the regulator too high you could blow the board clear out of the case. The max on a full tank is over 1000 psi.

Last edited by Skivvywaver; 04-Jul-2004 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,926 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2004, 03:20 PM #5
Do you get the feeling that Skivvywaver is pulling our leg or blowing smoke up our backside?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Jul-2004, 10:16 AM #6
On many keyboards, it's also not that difficult to pop some of the keys off. I've removed alternate rows of keys from a keyboard and then was able to clean more throughly between the remaining one.
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

05-Jul-2004, 11:05 AM #7
No blowing smoke. Why would I make such a thing up? Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to clean laptop keyboard (under/between keys)-nitrogen.jpg  

Last edited by Skivvywaver; 05-Jul-2004 at 11:24 AM..
Senior Member with 1,298 posts.

05-Jul-2004, 11:08 AM #8
There is a bit of a trick for that extra cleaning power that gets the impossible grunge.

Get a foam spray cleaner. Something like a carpet cleaner or maybe Big Wally. You want something with a thick foam, that then turns to liquid and is a powder when dry. Test it on something else before if unsure of its characteristics.

Clean with a vacuum prior to application of foam.

Hold the keyboard upside down. Spray up at an angle. You want to impact the keys but not blow a lot of spray deep between keys. Don't get super close, something like a foot away. The general idea being don't get a super amount behind the keys. Change angles to cover all recesses. You can get the foam layer pretty thick.

Continue to keep the keyboard upside down for the entire process. Let the foam sit, it will tend to collaspe into a liquid state and drip down bringing all the oil, dirt, and corruption with it. At some stage begin to gently dub with a paper towel to collect the liquid and work the keys a bit. After it appears to be pretty dry, rig the keyboard in an upside down position and let sit for several hours. Any foam that got behind the keys should turn to a powder.

Then vacuum with as strong a suck as possible, a big opening nozzle is OK the powder entrains the grunge and comes out easy. I prefer vacuum because blowing can embed the powder inside the innards. If you use the skivvywaver high pressure method, maybe wear a dust mask, who knows what that powder will do to your lungs.

I have done this procedure many times on all sorts of keyboard. Never had a problem. It will give the best clean possible to get without any disassembly. Sometimes the keys don't quite feel right after wards. Maybe a bit too clean and even sticky to the touch. Dampen a paper towel with water or windex and wipe the surface of the keys. A little use, regains the correct feel.

If it is a laptop, maybe want to tape off any openings like the floppy drive, etc before hand to prevent any spray from accidentally entering.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Jul-2004, 07:13 PM #9
I wouldn't do this to a keyboard on a bet! FWIW, it's normally pretty easy to separate a keyboard from a laptop for better access, and I'd do that if you really want to clean under the keys.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!