Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What causes video card to overheat?

(!)

Member with 149 posts.

Experience: What?? You need... Experience?
08-Jul-2004, 07:49 PM #1
Angry What causes video card to overheat?
Hey everyone, so I think I have boiled down the problem to my video card overheating. (Original prob was that my system would freeze whenever it was on for more than an hour) Microsoft support said they could not find any problems with any of the .evt files that I sent them, but said that temperature was one of the main causes of freezes and hang-ups. So after I shut my computer off and opened the case, the video card was blazing hot! And I mean hot, cooking eggs hot! What causes this to happen? I have no idea and would like some input so that I can end this madness for good. Thanks alot.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2004, 07:51 PM #2
I guess I'm assuming the video card doesn't have a fan ontop of it?

If not, you'll need to add an interior case fan. Is this the Compaq system in your sig? Did the system come with this card?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,354 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2004, 07:59 PM #3
I've actually seen several Compaqs with NVidia TNT cards with no heatsinks at all. If your Video card has no heatsink or no fan you can add a heatsink with a fan to move heat away. As mentioned above you can also, and probably should, add a case fan as well.

To monitor temps I recommend Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php or mainboard Monitor: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ These don't always work on alll motherboards but they may give you an idea if you need to investigate CPU and Case cooling.
Member with 149 posts.

08-Jul-2004, 11:19 PM #4
The card has a heatsink but no fan, and I just installed a case fan to take care of the extra heat. Is it better to blow air into the computer or to extract it? Also, if I update the DirectX in my system, would this interfere with the video card?
Senior Member with 1,391 posts.

Experience: More than enough
09-Jul-2004, 12:39 AM #5
Actually two fans will work better than just one. Fan blowing in, just moves air around the case and not necessarily out of case, Fan blowing out might be better, but were it me, I'd add one in front of case and one in back of case. The front drawing cool air in, the back one pulling it out. Fans have an arrow on them showing which way the air will flow.
Member with 508 posts.

Experience: Intermediate...I'd say.
09-Jul-2004, 01:12 AM #6
If ur case has any venting in the front like below the floppy drv and lower hardrive bays etc., then u should be okay with just a rear case exhaust fan. In my experience i hav found that 1 fan in the rear will draw cool air in from the front where it is vented; if it is so. I hav found this to be just as effective as having an additional front case fan that is blowing air into the case. At least in my application the system case temperature and cpu temp did not come down any more with a front fan blowing air in. So after some testing, I removed it. I would even say that u'd probaly be better off with 2 rear case fans exhausting air out the back, then with 1 in front blowing air in and 1 in back exhausting air out; especially if the front has some venting for intake from the rear exhaust fans blowing out the back.

Last edited by Rusty1952; 09-Jul-2004 at 01:24 AM..
Member with 149 posts.

09-Jul-2004, 05:12 PM #7
Thanks Rusty, the two fans in the back exhausting the air worked great. No problems with freezing up or anything like that yet.
Member with 149 posts.

09-Jul-2004, 05:13 PM #8
[solved]
Thanks everyone for your help on this one.
Member with 508 posts.

Experience: Intermediate...I'd say.
09-Jul-2004, 06:26 PM #9
Good !
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!