Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bad Power Button?

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2004, 08:36 AM #1
Bad Power Button?
Hi

I have a compaq presario (see below for specs)
It does not want to turn on intermittently. I have to shut it off and play
with the cables (hard drive / power button / cd drive) and then it turns on.

It does not get to the ram check part of the startup. Is there a way to diagnose this problem? I think it might be the startup button / on off button.

Would a pci pc diagnostic card find this problem? I might have fixed this issue
for now since I messed with the cables recently but, I'm thinking it will start up again when my wife tries and uses the PC.

Thanks for any ideas

Steve

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional (build 2600) Compaq Compaq PC CTODEAAA
System Serial Number: 9113DTYZL200
Processor a Main Circuit Board board 933 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compaq 06C0h
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686C3 03/05/2001
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
11-Jul-2004, 09:08 AM #2
Taht kind of intermittent problem is very hard to diagnose. If you get a PCI card and the problem decides to disappear for the moment, you will be no further ahead. You'll probably need to take the thing apart and check for loose wires. The power switch is a very likely culprit--it has wires going onto posts on the motherboard that are easily dislodged.
Junior Member with 10 posts.

11-Jul-2004, 02:43 PM #3
can I buy an new button?
Are buttons available / maybe I could replace the one I have. Are there any "standard" round buttons that I could use?
Senior Member with 1,298 posts.

11-Jul-2004, 03:55 PM #4
That "Button" is probably just a cover. Most of the On / Off switches are little micro type switches that have an extended shaft sticking out thru the sheet metal. They are typically attached by screws from the back. They will vary as to momentary or latching depending on the age of your PC. Pretty standard and should be able to find a replacement maybe at Radio Shack. Or get one from a junker PC.

The "Button" is actually part of the front panel, an idiot thing that just "floats" in the front panel. It allows you to press on the shaft but has no physical attachment. One thing to do, if you suspect the switch is just press and hold it in firm when starting. Or remove the front panel and push the switch shaft directly. If your PC shuts down when you turn it off without messing with the button, that switch should be momentary.

Best way to troubleshoot it is pull the front panel and side panels. Check the connections all the way from switch to terminations. With the PC power unplugged, check switch action with a meter. Can do it directly on switch or via other end of power wiring plug if easier.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,224 posts.

11-Jul-2004, 04:08 PM #5
If the computer powers up on the first attempt but does not boot/post then chances are its not going to be the power switch. Maybe the powersupply or motherboard.

One thing worth trying is to disconnect and reconnect each cable/wire and reseat each card/connector in the computer to make sure there is good contact - clean out any dust. If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltages coming from the powersupply. Here's what they should be: http://www.ts-consulting.net/ATXPS.HTM
Junior Member with 2 posts.

08-Aug-2004, 08:11 PM #6
Arrow Try removing the thin flimsy metal piece aound the PCI slots
I had this happen to me and it almost drove me nuts. The Presarios have a thin metal piece I assume is there to ensure a good connection. However it kept shorting my MB. If that doesn't do the trick make sure all your screws and stuff aren't shorting either. But dollar to doughnuts thats what the problem is. MMMM doughnuts!

Cheers
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,178 posts.

08-Aug-2004, 09:06 PM #7
I doubt that it is the power button / switch, however a quick test is to swap the power button wires with the reset button wires. If it works and powers up when you hit the reset switch, then you know the power button is bad.

As I stated above, I doubt it is the power button. It is more likely a ps problem or a motherboard problem.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

09-Aug-2004, 01:33 AM #8
Talking No...Seriously.. 99.9% sure this is your problem
I have this same bleeping computer... It did the same thing to me. EXACTLY
I tested the swtich, swapped power supplies, cleared the CMOS. I actually thought clearing the CMOS fixed it. Until it wigged out again. Then I took out all the cards... then it worked. So I then put them pack one at a time... no problems. But I forgot that metal overlay or what ever you want to call it ... junk is the best term. So then I went back and put it in and nothing! So I took it out again... that was a year ago and haven't had trouble since.
Member with 302 posts.

Experience: I Rock and Roll All Night
09-Aug-2004, 03:11 AM #9
I had the same Problem on my old K6 it came out to be those pci covers over the empty slots. i took out its network card and put the cover in there and it stopped turning on so i went back took out the cover and it turned on it was damn wierd i didnt think they could effect well....anything.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!