Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dual DDR / Dual Channel

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2004, 06:12 PM #1
Dual DDR / Dual Channel
Hi,

Have a Question about running Dual Channel or Dual DDR on my computer.
I have the oppertunity to do so with my motherboard.
But the question is this:

I have a 512 MB PC2700 (333) Twinmos Memory 2,5
And
I want to buy a 512 MB PC3200 (400) Twinmos Memory 2,5

Will I be able to run Dual Channel/Dual DDR whit these Memory, Or does it have to be Exactlly the same memory to do so.

Anyone who can give me a Good Answer to this and I will be very Pleased.

Thanks in advance !

// Yehaten ( The Swede )
Member with 102 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 06:33 PM #2
DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible (meaning you can use PC3200 DDR in a board designed for PC2100 DDR. However, i've always understood that MIXING two types together is a bad idea.

I've read that you can safely mix different DDR RAM provided that both chips have AT LEAST THE MINIMUM CAS latency required by the chipset on the motherboard. The manufacturer is irrelevant, but they must have the same parity.

I've included a website at the bottom. I've never tried it, but apparently they guarantee the correct memory for any particular configuration.

http://www.crucial.com

Good luck,

dbj
Computer Specs
Member with 3,370 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 09:00 PM #3
Sorry, but if you want to run Dual Channel memory mode you have to have a "Certified" pair of Memory Chips. That certainly precludes any two chips that are not the same speed! E.g., 2700 vs 3200 . These Certified pairs are sold in packages of Two. I expect that they have had some sort of extended testing by the manufacturer. They also have to be installed in the Dual Channel slots.
Member with 326 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 09:07 PM #4
I have not heard of certified pairs of memory (could be my ignorance). My newest system uses dual channel memory. When I built it, I just ordered 2 sticks of 512 from crucial. it works perfectly. as to your specific question. I think you are asking for trouble. Your best bet is 2 identical sticks of memory.

Steve L
Computer Specs
Member with 3,370 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 10:03 PM #5
Slawless,

Check this out...more than you want to know I'm sure :^)

http://www.dataram.com/pdfs/Memory%2...lification.pdf
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 10:36 PM #6
Should work fine.. They certainly do not have to be a certified pair. It'll just run at the slower speed.

27-Aug-2004, 06:54 AM #7
First I will say thanks for the Answers !
And it Seems that I will go for the PC3200 and hopfully run it in Dual Channel.

Im aware that it will run on PC2700-speed. But it will be better to have a PC3200 for the future.

I will write an Answer here when I have installed it in my computer, I first have to order it, so it will be in hopefully 2 weeks, if the delivery goes fast.

// Yehaten ( The Swede )
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

27-Aug-2004, 12:39 PM #8
One other word.. The timings on the memory may have to be set lower than normal when running mismatched pairs in dual channel configuration..
If you have any instabilities, try this.
If the normal CAS of the memory is 2.5, move it to 3.. If the normal Ras to Precharge is 6, move it to 7 or 8.

18-Sep-2004, 06:47 AM #9
I am now running om Dual Channel with the pair of Memory that I typed earlier in here.
When I am booting the computer is says:
"Dual Channel : Liner Mode"
And then recognize that I have 1024MB and this and that Harddrive, CD-rom etc...
I have run Sisoft Sandra to test the memory, and they are running on the lowest ( PC2700 or 333Mhz)
But it Works...even though it is not the thing to suggest because it is better to have two similar memory´s.

Have a Nice Computing-Time Fellows....Ciao

// Yehaten ( The Swede )
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,849 posts.

18-Sep-2004, 07:23 AM #10
As for the matched pair / non matched pair, some boards are more selective than others. I have found that the high end boards like Asus, Abit generally like to have matched pairs of ram. Cheaper boards like ecs will allow unmatched pairs of ram to run dual channel.

18-Sep-2004, 07:44 AM #11
I am using a MSI-motherboard 865PE...
A pretty big brand on the market if you ask me, so I don´t know if i belive in your theory there. But you could have right.

// Yehaten ( The Swede )
Computer Specs

18-Sep-2004, 08:57 AM #12
MSI is about in the middle of the pack as to quality; it is not what I mean when I refer to a high end board.

I have used a few msi boards and they work well. Generally I recommend abit, asus or for a budget build soltek when using an amd processor. For an intel build, nothing beats an intel board for stability. If you want to OC, then go asus for an intel build.
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Sep-2004, 10:28 AM #13
I have one machine running dual channel DDR, and there was very little change in the memory benchmarks over when it was configured single channel. I could detect no difference in normal operation. Since it was my graphics machine, I was adding 512mb of RAM, and it cost nothing to configure it dual channel, but I was not impressed that much.

18-Sep-2004, 10:59 AM #14
True, I think it is just a marketing gimmick more than a performance boost.

John have you built a socket 939 [dual channel] yet? I understand that it actually does make some difference with the 939 platform.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,544 posts.

Experience: Have caught the Tech bug Virus
18-Sep-2004, 04:00 PM #15
I have a Intel D865GBF with 4 memory slots. When I was running with just one DDR pc3200 I was in single channel mode. It wasn't until I added the second DDR pc3200 that I got to the dual channel mode. The sticks had to go one in slot 1 and 1 in slot 3. I guess I said this because I didn't read where anybody said that a motherboard must have dual channel capability. That is true isn't it?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!