Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupted USB flash drive, how to repair?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Sep-2004, 04:22 AM #1
Exclamation Corrupted USB flash drive, how to repair?
Hi,

I had a working USB flash disk this morning, but I accicentally pulled it out of the PC (Windows XP Pro), before I copied off the files. Now every PC I tried asks if I want to format it and I noticed the drive is marked as "RAW".

I can see it in both explorer and in the disk management, but I cannot access it.

Is there any way I can restore the partition without formatting it? I really need some files from it.

Thanks.
Member with 140 posts.

Experience: Several Years Experience
22-Sep-2004, 10:42 AM #2
If you have norton system works (specifically Norton Disk Doctor), you can try to run it and repair the drive.
I had a similar problem. The flash drive worked fine one day. After using it on a system with Win 98se, I could not access it on any other system! No system would even see the flash drive. I had to replace the drive and lost all data. The flash drive was a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 256mb.
Good Luck
Member with 83 posts.

22-Sep-2004, 10:43 AM #3
the only thing that i can think of is your going to have to format and then get yourself a copy of something like "Easy Recovery Pro" to get the lost data. most of the time even though you format most of the data that was there can be retained either in "raw" format or in its original state.
Member with 83 posts.

22-Sep-2004, 10:44 AM #4
maybe try www.majorgeeks.com and see if they have got a freeware version of some type of revovery software.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

22-Sep-2004, 06:09 PM #5
Thumbs up Thanks
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I followed some URLs and came up with GetDataBack and R-Studio. Both were capable, not only of displaying the info still on the stick without formatting it, but also displaying the correct names of all the files and directories. All freeware I tried was either not capable of reconstructing it properly or came up with a list of "unknown1.doc", "unknown2.doc" etc.

FWIW.
Member with 83 posts.

22-Sep-2004, 08:09 PM #6
good deal, glad it worked out
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!