Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"Reset" Hard Drive

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Oct-2004, 12:17 AM #1
"Reset" Hard Drive
I just need to know how to delete everything off of my hard drive.my comp wont load. i think theres a virus on my hard drive. so, i'm in need of a way to reset it out of a computer. thanx for any help.

hard drive info: western digital WD1200 "CAVIAR" 120gb
"enhanced IDE hard drive" whatever that means
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Oct-2004, 12:22 AM #2
What operating system? Do you plan to reinstall it?
Senior Member with 728 posts.

Experience: Know enough to be dangerous
30-Oct-2004, 12:27 AM #3
Your question is quite vague. I can understand wanting to delete everything and start from scratch. Although, what problems are you having please describe in detail. If there are any errors please right them down and post them here. At this point it may be a software or hardware problem. You may not have to reload your system at all, but we need to know what's going on first.

I dont know what operating system your using? Different operating system are installed differently and that also applies to how to format the hard drive.

Let us know what's going on and im sure myself or someone else will be happy to help you.

TC
rockin'male

30-Oct-2004, 12:54 AM #4
ok
i have windows 2000. everytime i start up comp, it loads windows then BLUE SCREEN.
it says sumthin about virusscan then turns off. yes after i fix it (if i do) ill reinstall it and probably put XP on it
Senior Member with 728 posts.

Experience: Know enough to be dangerous
30-Oct-2004, 01:15 AM #5
It could be a virus causing the problem.
If you plan on installing windows xp. Make sure you do a clean install. Dont do any upgrades from a previous operating system to xp. I've seen way to many problems running the upgrade.

As for installing xp......
You will need to get into your motherboard bios and change the boot order so the cdrom boots first. When booting it was ask something in regards to atapi. hit any key and the window xp installation will start. If for some reason you cannot get into your bios or your system wont boot from a cdrom. You can download a floppy bootdisk version at www.bootdisk.com

As for formatting your hard drive. When windows setup comes up you will be allowed to delete and create partitions. Once you decide it will format the drive and install windows.

30-Oct-2004, 01:16 AM #6
ok thank you very much
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2004, 01:19 AM #7
If you have the XP CD, put it in and boot the machine from the CD. After accepting the license, you can erase all the partitions, create new ones, and format the drive.

You can do the same with Windows 2000.

If you just want to erase the contents of the drive, use e-maxx or look for a drive wiping utility from the hard drive manufacturer. But installing XP or 2000 will erase everything if you want it to do so.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2008, 11:28 PM #8
I don't have much time right now but i'll just launch right into it. I have an issue with my hard-drive, it says some config file is corrupted or missing and I can address this issue by putting the OS installation disk in and repairing from there. Every time I try I get up to choosing which OS i want to repair. I enter "1" and hit enter, screen goes completely black for a second then a blue screen comes up with registry_error. So I tried to just wipe the hard-drive by reinstalling the OS (XP) so I try again and after "agreeing" to the EULA I get the same thing. If this is somewhat common with a solution you guys know then please get back to me. If not, then it would be great if you could work with me on this.

Thanks, and if you need any more info regarding the problem I'll get that to you as soon as I have the time.

thanks again
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2008, 12:19 AM #9
Try wiping all the partitions from the drive so that whatever is there won't be an issue. Make a bootable CD with a partitioning tool and use it to remove the current partitions. No need to make new ones, Just boot from the XP CD and start setup.

You can boot from a Win98 Boot Floppy and use fdisk to do that or:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic

02-Apr-2008, 08:47 PM #10
I can't understand the first one cause the different places do DL are in other languages so I downloaded the SystemRescueCD but it is an .iso which I learned was an image, how do I install that on a disk?
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2008, 08:56 PM #11
How To Write ISO Files To CD

Free ISO burning apps:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)
Active@ ISO Burner
EasyISO
BurnISO
ISOBurn
ISO Recorder for XP (Uses XP's burner and adds context menu - Vista version also available.)

02-Apr-2008, 09:05 PM #12
Thank you so much man. You are great at what you do and I'm sure everyone loves you and your help!!
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2008, 01:31 AM #13
The different download locations host the same iso file. You can get the combined Clonezilla-Gparted Live CD here:

http://free.nchc.org.tw/GParted-Clon...ezilla-2.3.iso
Junior Member with 16 posts.

25-May-2008, 04:17 PM #14
how do i erase my hard drive if my computer wont start? I already have XP installed but i dont have the cd to boot from it?. Is there another way?
Junior Member with 16 posts.

25-May-2008, 05:03 PM #15
I thought that maybe you could help me with this problem since you have helped others with it........
how do i erase my hard drive if my computer wont start? I already have XP installed but i dont have the cd to boot from it?. Is there another way?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!