Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Low Disk Space problem with Windows XP

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

12-Dec-2004, 10:35 PM #1
Low Disk Space problem with Windows XP
Hello:

I've been having problems with my desktop computer with Windows XP as the OS. Recently, my computer was infected with a virus and my solution was to reformat the hard drive and reinstall all operating components.

Since this has been accomplished, no virus, but the disk space on my 40GB desktop is severely limited (in Local Disk (D). I receive warnings from Windows XP continuously to free up space, but all the programs currently loaded on my desktop are vital and definitely not 40GB.

I initially believed that I had inadvertantly installed 2 Windows XP operating systems, but I have verified and I only have 1 installed. Please help me figure out what on my desktop is hoarding all my disk space, and how I can remedy this problem. I greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!
Member with 7,794 posts.

12-Dec-2004, 10:42 PM #2
Welcome to TSG

If you go into My Computer and right click on your hard drive and choose properties does it show your hard drive to be the right size and what is the info about free and used space?

12-Dec-2004, 11:35 PM #3
Hey Thanks for the Response. I checked how my hard drive is utilized and here's what I got:

Local Disk D: (the problem drive)
Used 4.14GB
Free 5.26MB
Capacity 4.15GB

Local Disk C:
Used 246MB
Free 32.8GB
Capacity 33.0GB

I still have no idea what's taking up space in D: since I've reformatted.
Member with 7,794 posts.

12-Dec-2004, 11:44 PM #4
As you can see Windows is of the opinion that your 40GB disc is actually 4GB.
Or is that you only have one hard drive that has two partitions on it? How many hard drives do you have?

13-Dec-2004, 12:03 AM #5
Thanks again for your reply. I tend to think the partitions are affecting this situation. I worked with tech support on the phone to help me reformat my hard drive, and we had to create another partition. I'm almost certain I have one hard drive with multiple partitions...maybe even 3. This could be the crux of the problem, but I can't say specifically. Let me know what other info. I can provide. The help is well appreciated.
Member with 7,794 posts.

13-Dec-2004, 12:10 AM #6
If you have one hard drive with 3 partitions then you would have another hard drive listed in my computer probably "E". As you've found out the 4GB partition is kind of small. Do you have a lot of info on drives C and D or can you just wipe them out and start over? (or back it up)

13-Dec-2004, 12:18 AM #7
In 'My Computer' under 'Hard Disk Drives' is listed only 'Local Disk C:' and 'Local Disk D:', so maybe I only have 2 partitions. Considering I just reformatted my computer a few weeks ago, I'm willing to clear the info off the C & D drives to start over if that's my best avenue to utilizing my computer's full capacity once again.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Dec-2004, 12:24 AM #8
Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. See what it syas there about how your drive is divided up and what its capacity is.

Is that a typo, os does it really say that your drive is 4 gigs?

13-Dec-2004, 12:43 AM #9
"Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. See what it syas there about how your drive is divided up and what its capacity is."

Ok I have to admit we're now treading into ground I'm not too knowledgeable about, so the solution to my problem may be obvious but still beyond me at this point. After following the above directions, here's the results.

Volume: blank, Layout: Partition, Type: Basic, File System: FAT, Status: Healthy (EISA Configuration), Capacity: 31MB, Free Space: 24MB, % Free: 77%, Fault Tolerance: No, Overhead: 0%

Volume: C:, Layout: Partition, Type: Basic, File System: NTFS, Status: Healthy (System), Capacity: 33.06GB, Free Space: 32.82GB, % Free: 99%, Fault Tolerance: No, Overhead: 0%

Volume: D:, Layout: Partition, Type: Basic, File System: NTFS, Status: Healthy (Boot), Capacity: 4.15GB, Free Space: 4MB, % Free: 0%, Fault Tolerance: No, Overhead: 0%

It then provides the following informationL
Disk 0: 37.25GB
The first two drives listed (blank & C) are the primary partitions
The last drive (D) is the logical drive in the extended partition
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2004, 01:16 AM #10
So it looks like you do have 3 partitions. Can you right-click that first one and assign a drive letter to it?

13-Dec-2004, 01:20 AM #11
I can't seem to right-click and assign it anything. Do you have any suggestions on how/where on my computer I can go to get this done?
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2004, 01:23 AM #12
In Disk Management again, right-click the partition that has no drive letter and see what options you have. What is the size of your disk supposed to be?

13-Dec-2004, 01:28 AM #13
When I right-click it only gives me a 'help' option that discusses adding a new disk. I only know that I'm supposed to have 40GB. Thanks for the help so far.
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2004, 01:33 AM #14
OK. You need to clean out some space on D: before you lock up while we are talking. Run Disk Cleanup. When it finishes scanning, click the second tab at the top. There will be a System Restore button at the bottom. Click that and remove all the restore points except the last. Then, go back to the first page and check all the boxes. Then, click OK and delete all the files you can that way.

Now, what was your goal in setting up partitions? What sizes did you plan on having? What is on the C: drive and can you move its contents to somewhere safe or do you mind losing it?

What about that "blank" partition---when you right-click that in Disk Management, is Open an option, and, if so, is there anything on that partition that you need to save?

13-Dec-2004, 02:19 AM #15
Thanks for the info. I ran disk clean up and cleared what I could. I'm not remembering any specific goal when the partition was established following the reformatting of my hard drive. Since I just reformatted a few weeks ago, I can lose the data on the C: drive if necessary. I cannot open the "blank" partition when I right-click on it, it only provides the 'help' option. Any further advice is appreciated, as I hope to get this fixed soon.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!