Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

External Hard Drive: Problems opening/moving files

(!)

Aycee Aycee is offline   Aycee has a birthday soon!
Junior Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Dec-2004, 07:39 PM #1
Unhappy External Hard Drive: Problems opening/moving files
I recently bought an external hard drive, which I wanted to use to store, music, and programs I use for my 'personal' PC use. I cut and pasted files from my existing hard drive onto my new external hard drive; which I had connected as per instructions via USB.

Now when I try and open the files, or move them into a different location - other hard drive, different folder etc; I get messages to the effect of "Cannot copy 'blah' Cannot find the specified file" or when I try and open a document in Word I get "The document name or path is not valid.".

However if I open up and view the drive in Windows Explorer, I can see the file names, types, sizes all correct.

What is happened?

Someone told me that copying data onto the hard drive 'wasn't supported'; but that would then make the idea of having the drive seem almost redundant.

As an aside, what's all this talk of 'enclosures' in relation to external HD's?
Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Senior Member with 112 posts.

16-Dec-2004, 07:42 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aycee
I recently bought an external hard drive, which I wanted to use to store, music, and programs I use for my 'personal' PC use. I cut and pasted files from my existing hard drive onto my new external hard drive; which I had connected as per instructions via USB.

Now when I try and open the files, or move them into a different location - other hard drive, different folder etc; I get messages to the effect of "Cannot copy 'blah' Cannot find the specified file" or when I try and open a document in Word I get "The document name or path is not valid.".

However if I open up and view the drive in Windows Explorer, I can see the file names, types, sizes all correct.

What is happened?

Someone told me that copying data onto the hard drive 'wasn't supported'; but that would then make the idea of having the drive seem almost redundant.

As an aside, what's all this talk of 'enclosures' in relation to external HD's?
Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Are you sure you didn't just make shortcuts by mistake?

16-Dec-2004, 07:52 PM #3
Yes, very sure.

That's why there's 20GB worth of data on the new HD.

I cut and pasted the files.

Thanks for the suggestion though, worth checking the basic before anything else.

16-Dec-2004, 07:53 PM #4
Did the copy get canceled at all?
And do any of the files work at all?

16-Dec-2004, 07:56 PM #5
Nothing was cancelled. All files are the correct uses; hence a sucessful copy.

No files can be accessed.

None opened. None moved.

16-Dec-2004, 08:01 PM #6
Do you still have the files on your main drive?
Also, sometimes Windows shows ghosts of files and takes up imaginary space - press refresh a couple of times when your in the External Hard Drive.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Dec-2004, 10:39 PM #7
I've seen this kind of problem before. I'm assuming the external Hard Drive is using a USB 2.0 port, but what about the computer. Sounds like it might be using a USB 1.x port. If so are there any 2.0 ports on the PC you can use?
Senior Member with 1,661 posts.

17-Dec-2004, 12:22 AM #8
Aycee, what OS? XP? I've been digging around on my XP machine and there's things in there that could be set to cause problems like you've got. This will get your post back to the top if nothing else.
As far as USB 1 or 2, I mix usb 1 to 2 and 2 to1 on external drives and have never had problems either way.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Dec-2004, 01:28 AM #9
What file system does the external use and how was it formatted? What designation is given to the drive by Disk Management? What are the properties and attributes of one of the files and of the drive in My Computer?

17-Dec-2004, 05:31 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig321
Do you still have the files on your main drive?
Also, sometimes Windows shows ghosts of files and takes up imaginary space - press refresh a couple of times when your in the External Hard Drive.
Files are not still on the previous drive, that can be seen by both searching and looking at changes in drive space. There is no change after refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Guy
I've seen this kind of problem before. I'm assuming the external Hard Drive is using a USB 2.0 port, but what about the computer. Sounds like it might be using a USB 1.x port. If so are there any 2.0 ports on the PC you can use?
Correct, the drive is using a USB 2.0 port. Plugged in to a USB 2.0 port as well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker39
Aycee, what OS? XP? I've been digging around on my XP machine and there's things in there that could be set to cause problems like you've got. This will get your post back to the top if nothing else.
As far as USB 1 or 2, I mix usb 1 to 2 and 2 to1 on external drives and have never had problems either way.
Yea, i'm using XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavndil
What file system does the external use and how was it formatted? What designation is given to the drive by Disk Management? What are the properties and attributes of one of the files and of the drive in My Computer?
Type: Local Disk ( F: )
File System: RAW

Coming up also called: HDS82808 0PLAT 20 USB Device

Device Status: Working Properly.

How would I find the designation given to the drive by disk management, and what do you mean by how was it formatted?

It seems every other time it shows files as described above which can't be accessed, the rest of the time it shows an empty drive, which no data on it - but with:

Used Space: 0 bytes
Free Space: 0 bytes

Which makes no sense what so ever.

Thanks for the replies.

Where now?

17-Dec-2004, 05:42 AM #11
Restart PC:

We now have:

Classic HD ( F: )
File System: FAT32
Free Space 54.6GB
Total Size 76.6 GB

But when trying to open, firstly; I get:
F:
Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

Right-click and open worked - revealed all files which should be there.

Now properties of drive from MyComp are

Classic HD
Type: Local Disk
File System: FAT32

Properties of a file:
Name/Type/Opens With: As Normal
Attributes: Archive
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Dec-2004, 09:35 AM #12
Since I've used USB and Firewire disk for years on everything from W98 to Linux with no issues, I'd look for a specific cause. From your description, I'd say a good start would be to go into Disk Management on the XP system and start that disk from scratch. Delete all the partitions, reboot, and then use Disk Management to recreate and format them in the layout you desire. A USB/Firewire hard disk should function exactly as an internal hard disk, and have always done so for me.
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Dec-2004, 02:27 PM #13
I'd suggest the same thing as johnwill. If you don't know how the drive was formatted, then you didn't do it yourself and it may need a good format and partitioning.

The RAW designation that you saw is what a totally blank disk drive looks like and so your machine is not always seeing the file system and partitions on that drive.

Use Disk Management to remove all partitions, recreate it or them, and repartition. A new drive should always be prepred before being used.

Do you need to recover data from that drive or do you have copies?

18-Dec-2004, 07:21 AM #14
No I need to recover the data; how would I go about doing this?

18-Dec-2004, 06:37 PM #15
Could still do with getting some further help on how to recover the data; thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!