Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

new motherboard/processor/ram problems

(!)

Account Disabled with 1,149 posts.

Experience: you would be surprised
07-Jan-2005, 03:36 AM #1
new motherboard/processor/ram problems
i have an intel 865pe (dfi infinity motherboard with a 2.8ghz processor (celeron d) and 512mb memory but at the side of the memory modules there is this little l.e.d called the dimm standby power l.e.d and under it says that if the dimm standby power led is lighted you must power off the system then turn off the power supplys switch or unplug the power cord prior to installing any memory modules the thing is i have done this and the light is still on so what could be the problem with this (my ram is 512mb ddr 400mhz)

also when i turn the computer on it starts up but then says cpu settings have bieng changed, please re enter the cpu settings in the cmos but i cant find that in cmos and then it goes on to this other screen if i just press f1 to continue, the screen is about raid and i got a floppy disk saying silicon raid on it but i understand this is only for sata drives but mine are ide, it then comes up with this screen saying varifying dmi pool data but a little before that it says about 2 drives not found and then a screen comes up saying sorry for the inconvinience blaa blaa blaa and it says start windows normaly, or in last good configuration or safemode but i press one and the computer just turns off or restarts and then eventualy comes up with the same screen and it starts all over again, i dont know how i am going to get this mobo and ram and well computer to work but i am hoping all you at tsg will be able to help me
Senior Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2005, 12:30 PM #2
First of all, I had a bad experience with the newer P4 board. Could be a faulty BIOS which displayed the same cpu setting error you saw. Numerous times. Even tho I didn't change anything in BIOS.

I think it's a BIOS issue. At least that's what I read online. Look & wait for updates.

As for unplugging power cord before installing/moving parts, it's a must. The light will go off after 5 sec or longer, depending on your PSU. A good technician goes not rush things. Do not touch the chips. Just the edges of the card. Better yet, discharge your static by touching the PSU beforehand.

07-Jan-2005, 12:44 PM #3
no but the dimm led light stays on all the time
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,487 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 01:05 PM #4
After unplugging the powersupply press and hold down the power button on the front of the case until the the LED goes off.

As for the error, this is pretty normal. Check the motherboard manual on how to change the CPU settings. In many cases you just need to load the BIOS/Optimal Defualts, Save and Exit and then it'll be fine. The RAID BIOS is seperate from the main BIOS, you need to press DEL or F2 to get into the BIOS setup. You may also be able to disable the SATA/RAID BIOS in the main BIOS or with a jumper on the motherboard; again check the manual.

And Windows raraley ever loads when you swap out motherboards. You need to boot off the Windows CD and do a Repair Installation to get Windows to boot up again. Doing a Repair will not cause you to lose any data.
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...sting%20Setup:

07-Jan-2005, 01:09 PM #5
this led goes off when i turn the comp and the power supply off but when i turn the comp back on the dimm standby led stays on and will not go off and when i restore optimal defaults it still comes up about the processor bieng changed i think
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 01:17 PM #6
Are you sure the LED is not suppose to be on while the computer is on? Makes sense that it would be.

An exact model number for the motherboard would help as well.

07-Jan-2005, 01:29 PM #7
i am sure as in my first post i stated what it said in the manual about the led light and how do i find an exact number for my motherboard all i can give you is intel 865pe (dfi infinity)
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 01:50 PM #8

07-Jan-2005, 02:00 PM #9
i dont know i think it could be original
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 02:07 PM #10
It should state what version on the manual, motherboard box, or right on the motherboard(maybe by the model or in a corner on a sticker).

I just looked at the manual for Revision B and it sucks. Lacks any and all detail. Where did you see the DIMM warning message, what page or section?
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 02:13 PM #11
I did find the DIMM Standby in the manual:

Quote:
This DIMM Standby Power LED will turn red when the system’s
power is on or when it is in the Suspend state (Power On Suspend
or Suspend to RAM). It will not light when the system is in
the Soft-Off state.

If the DIMM Standby Power LED is lighted, you must power-off
the system then turn off the power supply’s switch or unplug
the power cord prior to installing any memory modules.
So the LED should be on when the computer is on. It only needs to off when installing RAM. In which case unplug the computer and press and hold the power button on the front of the case to drain the power until it goes out.

07-Jan-2005, 02:20 PM #12
thing bout the dimm standby led is on page 14 but it says this if the dimm standby power led is lighted you must power down the system then turn off the power suplys, switch or unplug the power cord prior to installing any memory modules and from what i can see it is the original becouse there is no revision b on it and i do have to say i have not got a hope in hells chance of setting this motherboard up with this manual but i am hoping i can from help from the tsg forums (please read my fist post on this thread as this wont resolve the motherboard problem i think but my dad tells me to install the silicon image disk and it will defenetly work fine (i thought the silicon image floppy disk was for sata drives) (my dad knows nout bout computers lol i know more but i dont know anything)

ps
(i have not used my new comp becosue of this once i have had to use my slow one

Last edited by will182; 07-Jan-2005 at 02:29 PM..
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 02:29 PM #13
Well, you'll need to enter the BIOS setup and find the CPU settings. Each BIOS is different. Try looking for Advanced or Chipset settings. The CPU and RAM settings would probably be under those categories.

But you may need to update the BIOS to support your CPU. Both revisions have several updates dealing with the Celeron CPU. The BIOS works for both Revision A and B boards.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downlo...FLAG=A&SITE=US

07-Jan-2005, 02:39 PM #14
how am i suposed to update my bios when i am on a different computer and cant access windows on my new computer and also i cant find those settings on my mobo
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2005, 02:44 PM #15
They have instructions posted on their site. You don't need Windows on the computer to flash the BIOS.

How to flash BIOS with Diamond Flash Image? I find this Image file on some models. 2004/07/14
Answer :

Diamond Flash Image is unique feature developed by DFI to facilitate users flashing BIOS. User does not have to run the complicated procedures, but just flash the BIOS as an easy job.
1. Prepare one piece of clean floppy diskette.
2. Run the BIOS file from website directly or copy it to HDD to run.
3. It will image to floppy disk drive "A" including flash utility, BIOS file along with instruction and create booting program automatically.
4. Boot up the system from FDD. It will automatically flash the BIOS.
5. Press "F1" as instructed when completing the flashing.
6. Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!