Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem and question about Cool and Quiet

(!)

Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Jan-2005, 10:34 AM #1
Problem and question about Cool and Quiet
My problem is, I installed the drivers, enabled it in the bios, and the first two times I started, it rebooted on the Windows password screen.

But that might also have been because it was last night, and I was having heating problems (I think).

So this morning I tried again, this time I got into windows but it gave me an error about a kernel missing but how could it be missing? I had JUST installed the drivers! ugh. So I disabled in bios and uninstalled the drivers and now I'm back to being stable, but no Cool and Quiet.

Also, would Cool and Quiet even help for games? Because as I understand it, it only lowers temp when the CPU is not being used that much, but in games it would be under intense use all the time.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
28-Jan-2005, 10:42 AM #2
First off, what is Cool & Quiet? I believe most of those apps are worthless if not ineffective. If you want better cooling get a better heatsink/fan combo with variable fan speeds. ASUS has something similar in their ASUS Probe app but I have never seen it make any difference.
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Jan-2005, 10:47 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockn
First off, what is Cool & Quiet? I believe most of those apps are worthless if not ineffective. If you want better cooling get a better heatsink/fan combo with variable fan speeds. ASUS has something similar in their ASUS Probe app but I have never seen it make any difference.
It's an AMD function, I decided to try it because I'm apparently having heating issues and someone said that it really helped them, but I have no idea if they were a gamer or not.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

28-Jan-2005, 11:27 AM #4
Cool n' Quiet is intended primarily for power savings and has reduced heat output as a side-effect. It only works on motherboards and BIOS that support it, and only on AMD 64 or Athlon processors.

It's audience is organizations, like schools, that would benefit from a small saving of power (and noise) on each of many machines. The effects for one machine would be minimal. And if you already had an overheating problem, you should try to solve the mechanical problem by following Rockn's advice instead of trying to circumvent the hardware problem with software.

Maybe the fans just need a good cleaning?

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!