Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do flat/LCD monitors freeze? (from the cold)

(!)

Member with 2,064 posts.

29-Jan-2005, 10:08 AM #1
Do flat/LCD monitors freeze? (from the cold)
I know it's computers that freeze, NOT from the cold.

My daughter wants to get a flat screen monitor and someone told her it's too cold here (in VT) to use them. That they don't work good in cold weather and actually freeze if it gets too cold.

This is a person who works on computers, who said this.

I don't think anyone's house gets so cold that a LCD display might freeze- maybe they don't work good if they've been stored in a cold place? But then they would warm up? Would cold be bad for them?

I was wondering if there's any truth to this. I looked on google and in adds/reviews for them. I found one that said the person needed one that would work in -45 degree weather. It gets cold here (Vermont) but not even close to that in the house.

My camera has a LCD view screen and I've taken pictures with it outside when it's below zero. The batteries stop working at some point.

I've been told with computers there's no such thing as stupid questions (LOL)

~ Carrie
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jan-2005, 10:24 AM #2
Quite right 0- there are no stupid
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jan-2005, 10:26 AM #3
Quite right - there are no stupid questions - see the Forum Motto above.

I've never heard of anyone having problems like this. My office faces east across the valley and the monitor sits in front of a six feet square window. The heating knocks off when I do and the monitor remains on all night. Never had the slightest suggestion of it even shivering when I open up in the morning and it must be close to freezing point in here some nights.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Jan-2005, 11:09 AM #4
If you allow the temperature to fall below around 0F, you may have a problem with an LCD panel, but not at any temperatures that people would care to live in. The liquid part freezes at something like -15-20F, depending on the specific panel. One effect at cold temperatures that's pretty amusing is the response time goes way up, you can get some interesting displays at cold temperatures.

29-Jan-2005, 11:15 AM #5
Thanks!

Maybe the question of them freezing refers to laptops that someone might be using outside (in Alaska?) Seems like at the point you'd need mittens, you wouldn't be able to type (LOL)

Doesn't sound like it would permanently hurt them, (monitors) even if they were in the cold.

I think if it did they wouldn't be able to ship them during winter and at cold times of the year.

Now we know.

~ Carrie
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!