Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fixing broken laptop latch.

(!)

Member with 165 posts.

Experience: Semi-Literate
12-Mar-2005, 07:43 PM #1
Fixing broken laptop latch.
I was kind enough to catch the cord of my headphones with my leg and drag my IBM T20 notebook off the table, which resulted in a broken lid/screen latch. Luckily everything else survived okay.

I bought this used and it's pretty old anyway so there's no warranty.

Any ideas about fixing it? Anyone ever removed one of these or taken apart the lid/screen of their notebook? If I glue it, I'd like to at least get it out of there to make it easier to work with.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dave
Computer Specs
Member with 3,370 posts.

12-Mar-2005, 08:00 PM #2
Aha, use number 4,768,598,731 for Duct Tape!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Mar-2005, 08:42 PM #3
I've taken a number of laptops apart, but each one is somewhat unique. The ability to repair the latch would depend on exactly what is broken and how.
Member with 165 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 04:42 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbob
Aha, use number 4,768,598,731 for Duct Tape!
Yea, I suppose I could just duct tape it shut when I travel.
Member with 165 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 04:44 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
I've taken a number of laptops apart, but each one is somewhat unique. The ability to repair the latch would depend on exactly what is broken and how.

Have you found that odds and ends parts like this tend to be available for repair purposes (if I wanted to replace it rather than glue it)? I understand I would have to see specifically in my case, but I was curious about your experience.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 05:20 PM #6
What I normally do for repairs of this sort is to drill a couple of really small holes in the parts, and then use wire and epoxy to repair them. The wire is kinda' like rebar in concrete, it adds strength to the final fix.

As far as parts being available, not unless you get lucky as a rule. I have a client that uses a bunch of the same kind of Compaq laptop, and they've managed to totally kill a couple of them. I keep them in my closet for spare parts, they've been very useful a number of times.

For something that just drops onto my workbench, I just try to work with what's there.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!