Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"burn in mode" on black monitor screen

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

01-Apr-2005, 05:50 AM #1
Thumbs down "burn in mode" on black monitor screen
first of all, the problem we are having is not with the monitor, as we have just checked it and it works fine on another computer, so, that being said, here is our problem.

when we turn the computer on it begins to boot up, goes into the Windows welcome screen, then the screen flicks off (even shows the orange light like the monitor is not working) and it displays the message "burn in mode". This message is in a blue box and the rest of the screen is black.

If we turn the computer off and try again, the exact same thing happens.

sorry, I am not technical, so this was the best way I could describe what was happening.

hope someone can help
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,473 posts.

01-Apr-2005, 08:31 AM #2
Some motherboards have a "burn in" option. What is really happening is that the fsb [front side bus] is being overclocked by 5-10%

Have you tried to enter the bios and set defaults?

Has this always happened or was some hardware / software added or removed?

Is this a custom build or is it a mfg computer?
Junior Member with 9 posts.

04-Apr-2005, 05:47 PM #3
no new software or hardware has been added or removed - this just happened one time when I turned the computer on.

I have tried a couple of things over the weekend, I am able to get into safe mode, but can only do this every second time I turn the computer on, every other time it goes to the "burn in mode"

I went in to the bios, which defaults are talking about, I have two, and I have tried setting both of them and nothing worked.

I have read a bit about "burn in mode", but it sounds more like something you choose to do rather than something that just happens, is that right?

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Member with 7,794 posts.

04-Apr-2005, 08:46 PM #4
Just to follow up on crjdriver's post. What defaults did you find to reset and what is the make and model of your system or motherboard?

If no one comes up with any other ideas, you may consider trying to reset BIOS by clearing the CMOS jumper, usually located by the battery.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!