Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Loud alarm noise coming from computer

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Mar-2001, 11:21 PM #1
There's a loud noise that sounds like an alarm that comes from inside my computer (not the speakers) periodically. It doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern; it makes the noise as often as every few minutes, but it's also gone an entire week without doing it at all. It started about a month ago, and it seems to be happening more frequently and for longer than when it first started.

It lasts anywhere from about 10 seconds to 5 minutes. It sometimes happens when I'm not using the computer, or even when the computer is turned off. It stops when it's unplugged, but someone advised me not to unplug it in case there's a problem with the battery.
Member with 986 posts.

01-Mar-2001, 11:26 PM #2
Sounds like a fan going bad. Get it checked ASAP!
Senior Member with 2,065 posts.

02-Mar-2001, 10:19 AM #3

Hi Sara,
I thought about a fan making noise too,but if you are sure it makes the noise when the computer is off it wouldn't be a fan.
Another possibility would be if there is a problem with the battery and the system actually has an alarm for that but it would not be likely to sound when the system is off either.
Bob
Member with 78 posts.

02-Mar-2001, 12:07 PM #4
Hi sara781

The alarm could be as bd suggests, or it could mean the CPU or other components are overheating. Have you opened up your computer recently for a cleaning? If your computer has an intake fan, the opening could be clogged with dust, or the power supply grills and fan are clogged...or the components inside may be covered with dust. If it is, get a can of compressed air and use it to clean out your PC.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

02-Mar-2001, 11:46 PM #5
Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm pretty sure the problem is that the fan isn't working, and it's probably because it's covered with dust (there is lots of dust in my room). I hope now that I know what the problem is, I will be able to fix it.
Senior Member with 2,065 posts.

03-Mar-2001, 10:51 AM #6

Hi Sara,

As chum warned above , it is likely to cause serious damage to your system if it is overheating. The reason there is a fan on the cpu is because it will overheat and fail if it is not cooled sufficiently. Most other components in the system are also affected by heat.
Bob
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!