Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System cant see new Seagate 120MB drive

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Savvy but ignorant
26-Apr-2005, 03:43 AM #1
System cant see new Seagate 120MB drive
My eMachines T3985 can physically detect and recognize the presence of my new, second drive, a Seagate ST3120025ACE, 120 MB drive, But when the Windows XP comes up no logical volume letter is assigned to the drive.

The bios recognize the drive, the Windows XP information utility also sees the drive, its model, sectors, size, etc, but Windows does not assign a drive letter to it. I believe its formatted.

When this slot was formerly (and is once again) occupied by a 40MB seagate, the drive is detected, seen, and assigned the logical volume F:.

I believe that I have correctly configured the drive as a slave, the second on the IDE chain, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Member with 1,546 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Apr-2005, 07:40 AM #2
Sounds like it's not formated, you might try the software that came with the drive or DiscWizard.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,149 posts.

26-Apr-2005, 07:42 AM #3
With the problem drive installed, start the system and go to disk management. Start>run type in diskmgmt.msc and see what it says about the drive.
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Savvy but ignorant
26-Apr-2005, 11:24 AM #4
DiscWizard was a winner. Apparently the drive was formatted, but with a non Dos format. Yes, of course I should have learned this from the previous owner. I was able to format and partition the drive appropriately. Many thanks for the tips.

I'm going to take out a new thread in the appropriate forum to discuss how best to lay out my two non-symmetric drives to create a 2nd system partition, keep it current, and have it available to boot if my system drive is disabled in some way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!