Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor doesn't turn on when booting

(!)

Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-May-2005, 02:52 AM #1
Monitor doesn't turn on when booting
Hi Windows XP is my OS.

When i boot my machine, the monitor does not turn on. I have to press the reset button, wait, and see if it will turn on. If it doesn't I try again, and sometimes i have to turn off the power suply altogether. When the monitor eventually turns on, I sometimes get the error message "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad".

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200 video card...

This problem started a few weeks ago , although when it started the monitor came out of standby for a few seconds and then went back into standby, now however it just remains in standby.

Thanks a lot guys.
Senior Member with 172 posts.

Experience: Learning as I go..
04-May-2005, 02:59 AM #2
hmm.. it could be your monitor or your graphics card. If you have anoter graphics card at home, try it with this monitor and if possible, borrow a monitor from a friend and try it. Also, try to listen for any sounds that come from your monitor when you boot up. CMOS check-sum error.. You may wanna reset your CMOS.. but I'm not sure.. dont do it yet.. Let's listen to what the others here have got to say.. And with this error, can you still get into windows?
Member with 49 posts.

04-May-2005, 03:01 AM #3
After the monitor has booted, windows works fine but i'm not sure if Windows still comes up even when the monitor is off, or whether nothing happens at all. thanks for the reply.

04-May-2005, 04:37 AM #4
Monitor
Quote:
but i'm not sure if Windows still comes up even when the monitor is off, or whether nothing happens at all. thanks for the reply
hmm.. I dont really understand what this means.. Are you trying to say that your monitor comes on AFTER windows has booted up? Also, did you take note of the time your monitor takes to boot up? I have a feeling it's your monitor.. taking quite a while to warm up..
Member with 49 posts.

04-May-2005, 07:13 AM #5
80% of the time, the monitor doesn't turn on after any amount of time. However when it does come on, everything works fine, but if it doesn't come on, i'm not sure if the computer boots up properly and i just can't see it because the monitor is off, or whether windows doesn't boot at all. So in answer to your earlier question, when i can see what's happening on the monitor, yes, i can get into windows.

04-May-2005, 10:49 PM #6
ok.. here's what you can do. Turn on your speakers and listen for the Windows start-up tune, whether or not your monitor turns on and you'll know if you can enter windows. If you hear the start-up tune, tht means that your monitor is slightly erratic. In that case, try to borrom a monitor and try it out on your comp. I also recall from past experience that some monitors do go a bit hay-wire after going into Stand-by mode..
Member with 49 posts.

06-May-2005, 01:52 AM #7
Okay I have tried what you said and the windows start up tune DOES NOT play when the monitor doesn't work. Also, the machine doesn't beep at all, however when i press reset and it works properly I hear two beeps. So I'm guessing this isn't a monitor problem? eagerly awaiting your reply, thanks for your help.

09-May-2005, 05:22 AM #8
yeah. I do not think it's a monitor problem. It coul be your BIOs? I'm not really sure.. because it's related to your CMOS.. One way you an try is to reset your CMOS jumper on your mobo..
Member with 51 posts.

09-May-2005, 05:51 AM #9
I agree. It's a PC problem where the PC doesn't come on at all, so it doesn't bring the monitor out of standby. It's failing at some internal check before the graphics card is activated.

Question - have you changed anything recently?
1. Physically moved your PC?
2. Upgraded you graphics card or moved it to another slot?
3. Added any other card/peripheral/RAM to your system?
4. Been messing with overclock settings for the CPU or graphics card?

If the answer to all of the above is NO, you probably have a component failure and my first guess would be to replace the graphics card with a spare - you don't need a "good" one, any old thing will do just to see if it means your PC boots properly every time.

Let us know how you get on.

John
Member with 49 posts.

09-May-2005, 06:54 AM #10
Hi...my PC hasn't been moved recently, i haven't changed my graphics card, and i have no idea what overclock is. However, I think that a guy put an ethernet card in my computer when he was networking it for us...could this be it?
Member with 51 posts.

09-May-2005, 06:58 AM #11
If it started happening at the same time, then probably, yes. The network card (NIC)could be conflicting with the graphics card. Unusual these days, but not unheard of. Temporarily take out the NIC and see if it resolves. If so, you can try putting the cards into different slots and making sure your BIOS is set to auto assign interrupts etc for the cards rather than being set manually.
Good luck
John
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

09-May-2005, 07:12 AM #12
If removing the nic card does not work, I would look at the power supply. Boot problems like what you describe are often ps problems.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!