Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: External USB hard drive not recognized

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

16-May-2005, 01:41 PM #1
Solved: External USB hard drive not recognized
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Adaptec USB 2.0 drive enclosure, and popped in a Western Digital drive. Problem is that the PC does not mount the drive. The 'Safely remove device' icon comes up, but XP Pro won't stop the drive so it can be unplugged. I tried this in my backup unit with Win98SE , installed the drivers there before plugging in the machine (these drivers were not installed in XP, as it's supposed to automatically recognize it), and essentially get the same problem. The hard drive is already partitioned and formatted, and if I install it in a PC, the drive otherwise works perfectly. According to manufacturer's directions, it supposedly needs to be done again. It shouldn't.

My old USB 1.1 external drive that I had used drivers for xp and 98, worked fine before I broke it. I am totally at a loss as to why the hard drive is not recognized in XP or 98SE.

Sincerely,
Mike T.
Senior Member with 605 posts.

16-May-2005, 02:39 PM #2
Does your computer support USB 2.0?
Member with 39 posts.

16-May-2005, 04:52 PM #3
Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, mobos on both PC's have USB 2.0 hardwired ports (Asus P4PE, P4PE2-x). Correct me if I'm wrong, but USB 2.0 should be backward-compatible to USB 1.1, correct?

I also checked my services in XP Pro. There was nothing to the best of my knowledge that was disabled that should not have been for the drive to work.

Best,
Mike T.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-May-2005, 06:35 PM #4
Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.

You should see the drive there, let us know what the status is. It may indeed need formatting. Of course, since you didn't specify the exact make/model of the USB enclosure or drive, it's hard to know more about compatibility. I assume you've jumpered the drive as master, correct?
Member with 39 posts.

17-May-2005, 07:46 AM #5
Hi John,

The drive does not show up under disk management, and the jumper is set to master. I had tried this also with a second partitioned/formatted Western Digital hard drive (10GB) with the same results. The manufacturer of the enclosure is Adaptec model ACS-100 USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure kit.

With both drives (the other a WD 1.6GB drive) I partitioned/formatted both outside of the enclosure by installing into my backup pc, and then tried them within the Adaptec enclosure. It should have been seen by XP/98se, but they are not. As Western Digital is a major HDD manufacturer, there shouldn't be any compatability problems.

Mike T.
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2005, 10:46 AM #6
Being Western Digital, the Master/Slave jumpering arrangement is different from most other makers. Master with Slave present needs a different jumper than Master acting alone. Could this be the problem?
Member with 39 posts.

17-May-2005, 11:12 AM #7
Hi Saga,

I going to throw in the towel on this one...

I tried every concievable jumper setting with no luck. I even tried a Maxtor 40GB drive with the same results. These drives are supposed to be compatable, according to Adaptec. Checking out their site didn't help much. I'm totally at a loss as to why a perfectly working formatted/partitioned drive is not recognized in windows. I followed all manufacturers' instructions to the letter. In doing a search on these forums, I found that several other people had the same problem, both with HDD enclosure cases and 'native' external hard drives. There didn't seem to be any clear fixes to this. Wish I knew what it was. The case now heads back to my local retailer.

Thanks to all who tried to assist in this matter. Very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike T.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-May-2005, 06:03 PM #8
I suspect the case is bad, return it and buy a different one. I have put together dozens of these things, and I've had a couple that were dead.
Member with 39 posts.

31-May-2005, 07:58 AM #9
I seemed to have answered my own question here.

Evidently, the hard drives I was using for the enclosure were the earlier IDE drives, as opposed to E-IDE. I got a 10GB E-IDE drive yesterday, and the drive is recognized/assigned drive letter in both XP and 98SE.

Now I'm as happy as the proverbial pig in a pig sty. Thanks again to all who assisted me in this matter.

Cheers,
Mike T.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 08:07 PM #10
I have the same enclosure with the same problem.... on the web site it says it will work with all hard drives, even old ones.

But mine will not work with any of my drives, like a 250GB Maxtor set to slave, master or cable select.

or any of my IBM 20G drives.

My smaller drives work great in my other external USB device made by a different manufactuer.

This is copied from adaptecs webpage:
Q. Any limitations on the age or capacity of the hard drive that you support?

No. As long as you have a 3.5" IDE/ATA hard disk drive in good condition, the ACS-100 should support it to a maximum of 1000GB disk capacity.

Q. What kind of hard drives can I use with ACS-100 USB enclosure?

ACS-100 is compatible with any 3.5" IDE/ATA hard disk drive including IBM, Hitachi, Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, Quantum and Maxtor.

The box says model ACS-100 and says the following: Ideal for 3.5" E-IDE/ATA hard disk drives
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 11:21 AM #11
old drives, new drives
I have a cheap generic enclosure and I had the same problem. old drive did not work, newer drives worked fine.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!