Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

power supply dead;cpu fan dead,mobo?

(!)

Member with 105 posts.

16-May-2005, 01:48 PM #1
power supply dead;cpu fan dead,mobo?
I'm working on a 10-yr old HP pavillion pc. The pc would not turn on at all, monitor displays 'no signal'. the pc lights flicker. I had an older atx power supply and tried that- it worked. so I know that the old power supply was bad. the case was VERY dirty. almost all the vent holes were clogged. even after I tried my 'new' power supply, the cpu fan does not come on and I still get 'no signal' on monitor (the hard drive/cdrom drive DO come on). I'm thinking the power supply blew, taking the mobo with it. I don't want to spend alot of time on this, but can anyone offer any thoughts on this? thanks.
Member with 7,794 posts.

16-May-2005, 01:59 PM #2
A 10 year old system that you don't want to spend a lot of time on. What can I say?
Member with 105 posts.

16-May-2005, 02:09 PM #3
well, I'm sure not going to go out and buy another mobo for this beast. I guess I'd like to know whether my idea as to a toasted mobo makes sense. Or is there a way to rule it out? The only thing keeping from trashing it right now, is my sister didn't do alot of backing up and we'd loose alot of data.
Senior Member with 605 posts.

16-May-2005, 02:19 PM #4
You seem to be comfortable taking apart a computer, so why don't you just take the hard drive out and put it in a working computer and copy the files you need? Sure would save the headache of troubleshooting a 10 year old HP. That's assuming the hard drive isn't dead.

As for your theory, sure it makes sense. Just a few weeks ago I had a customer who had a faulty PS take out his mobo, RAM, and PCI cards. It even went so far as to fry the two hard drives. If there is a path for electricity to take it will find it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!