Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

floppy drive not reading

(!)

Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2005, 12:53 PM #1
Unhappy floppy drive not reading
my floppy drive is not reading disk. It says disk is not formatted. Disk is formatted and has info on it. I put disk in another computer and it works fine. I checked disk management and it says all is good. I then checked drivers and it says they are good i also tried to rollback driver and it sayed there was no driver to roll back to. I then whent in to bios and all looks good there. My floppy drive may be bad but i dont want to change it if it is something im over looking. The program is in Excel and the computer in question does have Excel on it. All help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks rick
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,544 posts.

Experience: Have caught the Tech bug Virus
01-Jun-2005, 12:56 PM #2
No you have done everything. Time for a new floppy. There cheap
Member with 42 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 06:56 AM #3
i have replaced the floppy drive. when i put the floppy in it ask if i want to format..i do not want to format i want view info on disk. disk works on another system
Member with 50 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jun-2005, 07:02 AM #4
Do 'other' floppy disks work on your machine?

Might even be worth opening the file up on another machine and just emailing it to yourself to save time and hassle.
Member with 42 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 07:03 AM #5
no, floppys are working on other systems..when i try to use them on this one..it keeps asking if i want to format
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 07:06 AM #6
G'day rickf28, floppy drives become insensitive sometimes, this may be from dirty heads or simply that they are old and worn.
Some disks lose their linear velocity read amplitude effectiveness so will give a read error or no read at all.
Some newer floppy drives are more sensitive and simply work better, it sounds like you have just determined this is the case.
In that floppies are almost extinct, new purchases are almost surely likely to be old stock so bearing this kind of thing in mind you might consider moving to a flash-drive and with a bit of lick not having to experience these kinds of problems.
If you can get a drive to read the floppy do a diskcopy to another good floppy and the new disk will hopefully read OK.
Cheers, qldit.
Member with 42 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 07:14 AM #7
i just installed new floppt drive..i have tried several disks that work in other systems..im just having hard time beleiving it is hardware prob now..2 floppy drives replaced and no disk reading...yet all other machines read the disk fine..this one realy has me stumped??????
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 07:33 AM #8
G'day again rickf28, you might get some of your disks (not needed data) and doing a complete format on few. Observe that the format is even and comparitive in time on each and also observe the report at format completion which mentions bad clusters.
If you do report bad clusters, reformat several times to observe if the problem improves.
I reckon that lately if you get a new box of floppy disks you will find at least one in ten will have errors. (old stock kinds of errors)
I have virtually ceased using them because of this problem.
Under normal circumstances they are only good for a couple of years anyway.
I suspect you might be comparing your drive against a much later version, with better sensitivity.
You can also use DOS and see if you can read as A: dir (enter)
The drive is operating correctly with the led reading and extinguishing I trust?
Cheers, qldit.
Senior Member with 2,578 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 08:18 AM #9
Hello Rick.

Did you create the floppy on the same computer that will not read it, which I assume has WinXP installed, or did you create the floppy on another computer and the WinXP computer will not read it?
Member with 42 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 05:11 PM #10
i messed around with it some more i think i found the problem..im new to computer feild but this is what happend..I decided to get new disk and format it..i put some stuff on it and it works fine..the disk i was having problems with worked in other machines..the machine i was using is new..i went in and looked at the properties of the floppy in question and is sayed it was formatted in FAT...i think this may be the problem..I know that Windows XP pro serv pac 2 will read FAT 32 and NFTS (hope thats right) but im not sure if it recognizes just plain old FAT, so i think disk format was just not compatable with that machine..I greatly appreciate all of your alls time and effort helping me resolve this problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

07-Jun-2005, 02:08 AM #11
G'day rickf28, I would expect your floppy disk to work equally well with FAT or whatever. The problem sounds odd.
I wonder if it is possible that the data lead has some kind of problem or if some BIOS setting may have odd effect. I haven't seen that exact problem previously, it is almost as though the motherboard has a poor read ability.
There is a possibility that the cylinder orientation on the disk may be a little off, but that would be remote.
It would be interesting to run a live Linux program like "simply mepis" and see how the floppy drive performs with it. (this is an entirely different kind of operating system that runs off a CD and makes a ram-drive in memory without any interference with the normal drive systems, yet still allows windows like operation)
Otherwise I am stumped with it!
Cheers, qldit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!