Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Much Electricity Does A Computer Use Per Hour?

(!)

Member with 1,277 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2005, 06:57 AM #1
How Much Electricity Does A Computer Use Per Hour?
HOW MUCH ELECTRICITY DOES A COMPUTER USE PER HOUR? Arguement going on a home on high electric bills,anyone have a rough idea how much electricity a computer(pen4) uses? i thought i read somewhere about 25 cents an hour
Computer Specs
Member with 1,240 posts.

10-Jul-2005, 08:40 AM #2
if ur pc has a 300w power supply, it's like leaving 3 100w bulbs on all the time
Computer Specs
Member with 3,370 posts.

10-Jul-2005, 12:01 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxcowboy
if ur pc has a 300w power supply, it's like leaving 3 100w bulbs on all the time

That is, at the maximum. The unit does not draw the PS's max rating unless the demand is there.

If you have an older CRT display, it probably uses more power than the PC itself. So compromise and shut it off when not in use.

As for the Co$t, that will depend on the price per KW Hour in your area, check your bill. If you were using 333Watts, that would be 1/3 KWH.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Jul-2005, 01:28 PM #4
winbob is correct, it's unlikely to be drawing 300 watts, or anything close. OTOH, I've checked the power consumption of this P4-3.2ghz machine with three hard disks, two optical drives, and two 19" LCD monitors attached. The whole shooting match is drawing 220 watts when active, and around 100 when the monitors go into standby and the disks spin down. Unfortunately, the true RMS wattmeter wasn't mine, and it's gone home with it's owner, so I can't do any more tests.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!