Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Display won't turn back on after idle

(!)

Account Closed with 127 posts.

21-Aug-2005, 01:41 PM #1
Display won't turn back on after idle
Okay, I have my power settings so that the display and hard disks turn off after x-amount of minutes. Sometimes when I come back after it's been like this for a while, I run my finger accross the touchpad and nothing happens (normally the desktop comes right up as with a screen saver). It's like the display just won't come back on. I've tried pressing keys, pushing the Fn+F10 button that switches to an external monitor, pressing Windows>U>S (the sequence of keys that puts the computer on standby), Ctrl+Alt+Del... Nothing works. Every time, I've had to do a hard reboot by holding down the power button.

The rep. from the reseller I bought from is trying to tell me that:

"Go into you power options and ensure turn off monitor and hard
drive are set to NEVER, otherwise you will have to do a hard re-boot
every time it happens"

and

"When Windows shuts off the monitor and hard drives it is permanent until
you re-boot. It is different than hibernation or stand by, turn
off is completely disengaged from Windows so no other programs can turn
it back on, or unauthorized users etc..."

Which is absolutely not true, as I have been doing this same thing for 3 years on my previous laptop.

So.... any ideas?
Senior Member with 914 posts.

21-Aug-2005, 03:29 PM #2
I had a similar problem with one of my computers recently. It would lock up 2-3 times a week. It turned that it only happened at 4:55 AM. After disabling different programs, it turned out to be a corrupted AVG download manager. Uninstalled/reinstalled and every thing is fine. So, see if you can isolate it to a specific event/program.

21-Aug-2005, 04:04 PM #3
Interresting. I'll start keeping a log ;-)
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
21-Aug-2005, 07:52 PM #4
On my Dell laptop the only button that brings it out of standby is a momentary press of the power button -- although there is also a FN/ESC combination to put it in standby.

Have a look at Power Options > Advanced and see what button is appointed the function of putting the system in Standby. For me it is in fact the Power button (you have to press this down for more than 5 seconds if you want to use it to shutdown).

There is also a "sleep button" option, but I'm not sure what that is on this laptop, perhaps FN/ESC

21-Aug-2005, 09:24 PM #5
My issue doesn't involve the computer going into standby though. I just have the display turn off after so many minutes.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
21-Aug-2005, 10:53 PM #6
I understand that, I'm just suggesting that a change in settings might allow the power button to bring it out of standby.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!