Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Master/Slave HD problem

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

26-Aug-2005, 10:50 AM #1
Master/Slave HD problem
I'm still having trouble accessing my 2nd HD. When running Active SMART the HD's show up as:

Primary/Slave
Secondary/Master.

Now I know that the cable ribbon is correct for each drive (it's labeled) and on the Second HD no jumpers are on (slave).

Can't even access the 2nd HD through Disk management to assign a label to it. Shows up in grey.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Member with 51,018 posts.

26-Aug-2005, 04:35 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69
I'm still having trouble accessing my 2nd HD. When running Active SMART the HD's show up as:

Primary/Slave
Secondary/Master.

Now I know that the cable ribbon is correct for each drive (it's labeled) and on the Second HD no jumpers are on (slave).

Can't even access the 2nd HD through Disk management to assign a label to it. Shows up in grey.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Try it as a Secondary Slave and make sure that the jumpers are correct on both master and slave! If that doesn't work, try switching IDE controllers and cables.

26-Aug-2005, 04:42 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
Try it as a Secondary Slave and make sure that the jumpers are correct on both master and slave! If that doesn't work, try switching IDE controllers and cables.

I did check both jumpers and they were set-up properly. I also changed the IDE controllers as I realized my Zip drive was on Primary IDE and the HD's were on Secondary.

Rebooted the system, and the HD's changed to:

Primary/master
Primary/slave

Unfort, I still didn't have access to the slave drive. So I did what I've been dreading to do....format the 2nd HD.

After the format and rebooting, the system recog the 2nd drive and I had access to it. Unfort, all my stuff was gone..oh well..

26-Aug-2005, 04:45 PM #4
Quote:
I did check both jumpers and they were set-up properly. I also changed the IDE controllers as I realized my Zip drive was on Primary IDE and the HD's were on Secondary.

Rebooted the system, and the HD's changed to:

Primary/master
Primary/slave

Unfort, I still didn't have access to the slave drive. So I did what I've been dreading to do....format the 2nd HD.

After the format and rebooting, the system recog the 2nd drive and I had access to it. Unfort, all my stuff was gone..oh well..
I think that pretty much tells you there was a problem with that drive anyway, but at this point we will never know. I always like to keep the main hard drive as the Primary/master although I've switched them without any problem.

26-Aug-2005, 07:24 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
I think that pretty much tells you there was a problem with that drive anyway, but at this point we will never know. I always like to keep the main hard drive as the Primary/master although I've switched them without any problem.

Somehow after I did a format last week the drives changed. I never set them up as Primary/Slave.

But either way, like you said, we'll never know.

26-Aug-2005, 07:27 PM #6
Quote:
Somehow after I did a format last week the drives changed. I never set them up as Primary/Slave.

But either way, like you said, we'll never know.
Well, on the board there is a Primary and Secondary IDE controller. It can't change by itself because you physically connect one cable to the Primary Controller and the other end to one or two IDE devices--they become "primary" master and slave. And of course, the other controller is "Secondary". They say the primary hard drive should be on the Primary IDE cable, which I always do, but I have switched them troubleshooting and had no problems. I don't know why it matters, frankly. Probably used to matter years ago before plug and play and doesn't anymore.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!