Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect PC Speakers to a TV

(!)

Junior Member with 25 posts.

29-Aug-2005, 11:12 AM #1
Connect PC Speakers to a TV
I have an extra 2.1 PC Speaker system. I was wondering if I can connect it to my TV. If so, what cables do I need?

Thank you.
Senior Member with 246 posts.

Experience: Enough to be dangerous
29-Aug-2005, 02:57 PM #2
Well, it depends.

If your speaker system has built-in power amp, all you need is and extra cable/adapter. Your TV should have two audio output RCA phono jacks-left & right audio channels. You need an adapter cable that has, on one end, a female stereo mini-jack, the kind that matches your speaker stereo plug. The cable should branch into a "Y" with an RCA phono plug on the end of each branch.

If your speaker system doesn't have its own power amp, then you will have to provide a separate one. I use a 30 watt amp from All Electronics, CAT# AMP-30, click on link: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...937&type=store
They also have an adapter cable for 3.5 mm stereo plugs, CAT# AD-18. If you have a different sized stereo plug on your speakers, you will have to shop around. I buy from All Electronics all the time. Good luck.

30-Aug-2005, 12:57 AM #3
Dumb question: Why do I need an amplifier? Will it not work with the y-connector alone?
Member with 17,584 posts.

30-Aug-2005, 06:41 AM #4
"Speakers" are not all created equal.

Most "Speakers" that connect to PC's include an internal amplifier, so have a power pack or power plug to supply them. These are amplified speakers, as most PCs (and AV outputs on TVs) are low level (low power) audio designed to feed an amplifier or amplified speakers.

The real definition of "Speakers" are the devices themselves, which are designed to connect to an amplifier speaker output (high power).

Your post is unclear what you actually have as "2.1 PC Speaker system", are these just the actual speakers or powered (amplified) speakers.

30-Aug-2005, 11:22 AM #5
I have the Creative SBS 2.1 350 (http://us.creative.com/products/prod...27&product=281)

It's powered so does that mean I don't need an external amp? I looked through the website, manual and the box and it doesn't say anything about it having a built-in amp.

Thanks.
Senior Member with 246 posts.

Experience: Enough to be dangerous
30-Aug-2005, 12:57 PM #6
If your speakers have to be powered then they have built-in power amps, so just use the "Y" connector. I tend to buy "el cheapo" systems and the tiny speakers that come with them are unpowered. I measured the stereo speaker plug on my computer and it is 2.1mm in diameter. I briefly tried Googling for one but came up empty. If you or have a freind that is handy with a small soldering iron, the 2.1mm jacks and phono cables are readily available and can be soldered together.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2005, 01:09 PM #7
Right ok this may be a stupid question but here goes. Im also looking to connect my pc speaks to my TV, they definitely have an amp in them. With the 2 RCA to mini jack cable, could I plug the 2 RCA's into my TV, then the mini jack to the line in on my sound card? My speakers go out of the digital connection, but would that work and/or should I be doing it differently?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2005, 08:01 AM #8
anyone.....? Plus also would it be worth buying a decent rca to jack cable or would a cheap 1 be ok?
Senior Member with 896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Sep-2005, 08:57 AM #9
you will need a av adapter

ill post a pic

sry for the poor image quality but my digital cam sucks

with that adapter, all you need is a av wire that you would normally use with a dvd player

plug the red and white autio cables in

then plug the speakers into the green colored jack

the black colored jack is for a subwoofer (incase you have an extra subwoofer

for your speaker system, you will only need the green jack

hope you live near a radioshack

you should be able to get one for around 3-4 dollars

Last edited by inuyasha320; 18-Sep-2005 at 09:10 AM..
Senior Member with 896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Sep-2005, 10:03 AM #10
i am not 100% sure of the exact name of the adapter but the people ad a electronic store should know what your talking about and find you a adapter
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!