Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't get a screen resolution higher than 1024 x 768

(!)

Member with 179 posts.

31-Aug-2005, 11:22 PM #1
Can't get a screen resolution higher than 1024 x 768
Anyone know why I can't get a higher resolution, I need it for some programs I am running, it is very annoying.
I am not using a desktop.
Thanks in advance!
Senior Member with 1,661 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2005, 11:39 PM #2
Is it possible your screen doesn't support any higher res? If you are sure it does, try updating your graphics drivers.
Senior Member with 896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Sep-2005, 02:15 AM #3
go to your video card driver settings and uncheck the box that says

hide screen sizes that this monitor cant support

then you can make the res a lot higher

PS you wont like the results you get when you do this

it is recomended that you dont go past 1024x768
Member with 2,310 posts.

01-Sep-2005, 03:14 AM #4
not a desktop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke101
I am not using a desktop.
If you are NOT using a desktop, then are you using a ... laptop? (If so, why not just say that?)

Many laptops, and most only have the LCD panel being used, have a native resolution of 1024x768. (Not all, for instance my Dell laptop has a native resolution of 1400x1050 - but I digress ...)

Assuming you are only using an LCD panel (and correct me if I am wrong), what is your native resolution?

Trying to run your (assuming) laptop's LCD panel higher than its native resolution will give you a poor display. Some thin lines and even characters will be not fully formed. Don't do it.
Member with 17,584 posts.

01-Sep-2005, 04:47 AM #5
Most laptop displays will not run above their native resolution, requiring the screen to "scroll" to see it all.

On a laptop screen, a pixel is a hardware element, its not scalable as it is on a CRT screen.
Member with 2,310 posts.

01-Sep-2005, 03:31 PM #6
While laptop displays are fixed with their number of pixel elements (pixels) they can be driven to a higher resolution that what is the hardware defined native resolution. I have seen it - it is NOT pretty . I do not advocate, suggest, nor even recommend doing so, in any way.

I only even mentioned it because I did not want to go into a long argument about how some person who had an LCD panel of X resolution, and they were running it at X+ resolution. (When a person states any one fact there are anal types out there who will try to poke holes into your statement. )

To get to a higher (than native) resolution depends upon the video driver. If it has the ability, you can try it. It the video driver does not have the ability, then you can't.
Member with 17,584 posts.

01-Sep-2005, 04:53 PM #7
Agreed ChuckE, its the issue that a pixel on the LCD is not scalable as I mentioned, its always just a pixel so "interpolation" if allowed by the video driver simply gives a horrible display if a non-standard resolution is required.

You cannot make the screen treat a pixel as "0.8 of a pixel" or "1.2 of a pixel" as you can with a CRT.
Member with 179 posts.

02-Sep-2005, 12:02 PM #8
I meant I am not using a laptop!
I unchecked the box box, but when I go to higher resolutions it just restets itself to 1024 x 768, I take it that means that I just can't go higher?

Last edited by Luke101; 02-Sep-2005 at 12:07 PM..
Member with 2,310 posts.

02-Sep-2005, 06:20 PM #9
So, it has taken us 3 days to find out you are using what? ... a desktop?

Quit telling us what you are not using, and tell us what you are using.
What computer, what model, what monitor, what video card, and how much memory do you have for your video? What OS would be nice too.

Perhaps we can get you resolved in less than 3 days now. Now it sounds like a video driver or card, but until we get a few more details we can't be more specific.

Last edited by ChuckE; 02-Sep-2005 at 08:32 PM..
Member with 36 posts.

02-Sep-2005, 07:48 PM #10
Yeah man we need details on what you ARE running. It could be that your card won;t go higher, It could me your monitor can't go higher. We need to know some of these specifics before we can give you any help.
Member with 2,310 posts.

12-Sep-2005, 05:57 PM #11
Seems that Luke101 just doesn't want to tell us any more info. That is interesting, since he did send me a private email that was pretty nasty. He said that I was rude, quick tempered, and an inconsiderate arrogant prick. (Was I really? Sorry, I don't see it.)

While I responded to him as politely as I could, and probably much better than most people could after being impinged as such, I told him that my questions were well intentioned, and that I would accept his apology after his issues were explained and/or corrected.

Was I wrong?
Luke101, please come back. We really do want to resolve your issues.
Member with 36 posts.

12-Sep-2005, 09:29 PM #12
Yeah with as frustrating as some of the lack of info was everyone was rather calm. Had you been one of my freinds I would have just called you a "nub" and been done with it and I'd assume likewise with others.

But hey some people are even more short tempered than others. Only one that looses here is him.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,419 posts.

12-Sep-2005, 09:41 PM #13
Actually the using of bold faced type when telling someone what to do is pretty much the same a yelling at them just as using all caps. I personally thought your demeanor was a bit short for the circumstances. Whether or not it called for a PM to explain this? I doubt I would have gone to those extremes.

12-Sep-2005, 10:42 PM #14
Using bold is only stressing the important part, that is why it is called "emphasized" in some parlance. But even it it might have been considered YELLING at him, the idea is similar, to get him to pay attention (2x4's and donkeys come to mind).
The telling of what is not being used, is as useful as answering:
  • I am not using cream in my coffee
  • I do not have brown eyes
  • I do not have a hang-nail
So ... what is the weight of my car?
In other words, it does no good to answer with negatives, if the direct question is still not being answered.

In any case, Luke101, as you can see, we (the keepers of the faith, the volunteers of all things free) do really want to help you with your problem. If only you not feel so hurt over insignificant things. So many times we do try to assist with never so much as a thank-you from those that do get helped. It is not that we resent the non-response, but that you would get so easily offended by the asking of simple questions.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!