Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Internal Alarm Going Off???

(!)

Member with 30 posts.

15-Sep-2005, 05:37 AM #1
Solved: Internal Alarm Going Off???
I'm getting a weird problem. Every now and then an alarm inside my computer goes off. It sounds like a siren kinda *beeee-booooo-beeeee-booooo*. It's pretty loud and it's coming from inside the computer, not through the speakers. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly sets it off. The first few times, it happened when I was trying to burn a DVD. But lately it seems to be going off when I'm working in Maya. I thought maybe it was when I was trying to push the computer too hard, but I just had it go off when I hardly had anything running, and was just doing some simple texturing in Maya. Any idea what would be causing this? Why it's happening? What I can do about it?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,675 posts.

15-Sep-2005, 05:46 AM #2
yes, it possible an overheat alarm - when you push the PC hard it generates a lot of heat - so if the fans are not running or theres lot of dust etc then you may be on th elower limit of temp.
running programs make the CPU hotter and the alarm goes off

open the box and see what the fans are like - I fixed a problem a few days ago here and the case fans where unplugged
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,206 posts.

15-Sep-2005, 08:41 AM #3
I agree it sounds like an overheat alarm from your bios. Open the case and give it a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any computer store] After you finish cleaning the system, power it up with the side cover still off. Observe all of the fans; are they turning? If all fans are running, power the system off and give the cpu fan a close inspection. Check to see if there are any broken mountings. If the heatsink is loose, it will not work. Once through with all of this, replace the side cover and power up the system. See how it works. You might want to install something like Speedfan to monitor your temps.
Member with 30 posts.

16-Sep-2005, 04:19 PM #4
Yup, it was the dust! All the fans were working, even the one on the heatsink, but they were all pretty caked with dust, and the heatsink vents were especially bad! It was getting so I could only render about 5 frames before the alarm went off, but now I've rendered 200 and no alarm! Dust! So simple! Thanks guys!!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,675 posts.

16-Sep-2005, 04:43 PM #5
Your Welcome.
Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
goto
Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!