Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

my computer keeps beeping and won't start

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

17-Apr-2001, 09:52 PM #1
when i turn on the computer, it keeps beeping, without stop. The computer won't start, and nothing appears on the screen.
Member with 281 posts.

17-Apr-2001, 09:56 PM #2
check your ide cables make sure they are connected properly, do you have memory in there?
Junior Member with 17 posts.

17-Apr-2001, 10:07 PM #3
Count the beeps, to include hi/lo tone. Then, check my web site for possible resolutions. Make sure you note the maker of the BIOS, Phoenix, AMI, Award, etc.. Hope this helps.
Senior Member with 597 posts.

17-Apr-2001, 11:50 PM #4
actually, it's not high-lo tone, it's long-short length of beeping.
Junior Member with 17 posts.

18-Apr-2001, 08:11 AM #5
Depending on the BIOS, yes, that is correct. With Award BIOS's, a hi/lo beeping is indicative of a improperly seated CPU. Phoenix, which probably has the most extensive set of beep codes, uses a number order in terms of length. Hope this helps.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Apr-2001, 12:44 PM #6
What I have found, if it keeps beeping, usually video card....try removing and re-inserting. Also, make sure keyboard is attached securely.
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

25-Apr-2003, 10:07 AM #7
I recently had a similiar problem. Beeped when started from a cold start, during beeping I hit the reset button and it fired. After trying to replace the modem card, a new video card, and added memory, ended up being a bad motherboard. Put a new one in (First Computer International would NOT stand behind their mobo) and the system runs fine now. Keep in mind might be a bad mobo......good luck
Senior Member with 571 posts.

25-Apr-2003, 04:19 PM #8
My system also starting beeping at boot-up a few weeks ago and it was my memory. I replaced it w/ another stick and system worked.

Good thing Mushkin had excellent customer service. They tested it the same day they received it and shipped a replacement stick that same day too.
Member with 39 posts.

30-Apr-2003, 12:38 PM #9
Did you check to see if the RAM is properly seated?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!