Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is there any risk in updating BIOS?

(!)

Member with 390 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 12:23 PM #1
Is there any risk in updating BIOS?
I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL106 notebook, running Win98SE. I used to be able to see the POST data screen by pressing ESC as soon as the Compaq logo screen appeared; and from there could get to the BIOS by pressing F10 to enter setup.

I recently replaced the original HDD with a larger drive, and installed Win98SE, etc. The computer boots up fine, and works fine. But now I'm unable to see the POST or get to setup by doing what I described above.

After much correspondence with forum members, I contacted Compaq, and surprisingly received a response from them. They said to update the BIOS, and directed me to a file to do this. I downloaded the file, but am concerned that maybe updating the BIOS will cause more harm than good.

So, my question now is: What are the downside risks associated with updating the BIOS? Or is this a safe thing to do? Right now the computer works fine; I just can't see the POST or access the BIOS. I'd hate to update and then find the computer inoperable.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Dec-2005, 12:26 PM #2
Quote:
What are the downside risks associated with updating the BIOS?
Possible failed bios update rendering your whole motherboard unuseable....

Compaq I believe is pretty good at having a type of bios recovery (if I remember correctly) but the possiblity is still there.
stod73 stod73 is offline stod73 has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 832 posts.

Experience: Karma Chameleon
08-Dec-2005, 12:28 PM #3
Go for it. I have never had a problem updating bios. Just follow the instructions...
Computer Specs
Member with 13,932 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 12:33 PM #4
That is an old machine so I doubt there is going to be a bios recovery option if it fails.

I have flashed about 50 times and had one failure that made a doorstop out of the machine. It was a gut wrenching feeling but I will still flash if needed.

The machine I have now has a recovery option. I'll flash it without a second thought.

Flashing is risky. No two ways about it.
Account Disabled with 961 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 12:37 PM #5
If it works, don`t break it.
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2005, 12:43 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee
If it works, don`t break it.
What he said.

I will flash this thing in a heartbeat, but I do have the option to go back to square one if it fails.

The recovery option is the best thing since sliced bread.
Member with 390 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 12:51 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivvywaver
What he said.

I will flash this thing in a heartbeat, but I do have the option to go back to square one if it fails.

The recovery option is the best thing since sliced bread.
I'm new to this sort of thing.

How do I do a "recovery"? And what do I need to do before doing the update so that I can do a recovery if things go sour?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 01:16 PM #8
Like stated earlier, it is highly unlikely your board supports recovery. Its a pretty new feature...
Account Disabled with 961 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 01:31 PM #9
as long as it`s working fine, don`t flash.
You only want to flash if your having serious issues that the new BIOS has fixes for.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 01:39 PM #10
When you replaced the hard drive, you removed the hidden Compaq partition, I'm guessing.

Flashing the bios isn't going to fix that.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 01:39 PM #11
^^^^^

Listen to Rukee here, its one of those not worth the risk things, unless you can get compaq to promise it won't kill your machine, and if it does to replace your Mobo for you.
Member with 390 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 05:27 PM #12
To all who helped:

I've decided NOT to tinker with the BIOS, at least not as long as the computer is working well.

Instead, I'm going to try this (any comments/tips/advice/guidance will be appreciated):

I'll put back the old HDD and try to access BIOS as before. If it doesn't work, I'll just assume there's something wrong with the computer, but I won't go chasing it. I'll put back the new HDD and continue to use the computer, without accessing BIOS.

If, with the original HDD I am able to enter setup and BIOS, I'll then look for the Compaq files that apparently control this sort of thing; and copy them to the new HDD, in similarly named folders. If it then works, fine. If it doesn't, I'll just ignore the whole situation and pretend I don't know there's a problem. If someday I need to enter BIOS, I'll just deal with it then. Or smash the computer.

Thanks for all your help.
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2005, 05:31 PM #13
Did you clone the drive, or did you do a total reinstall on the new drive?

:edit: I see you did a reinstall. Maybe cloning the drive would work IF the computer will enter the bios with the old drive. I am not sure at all.

If you can see the bios on the old drive and don't want to mess with it right now, put the old drive in an anti static bag and store it some place safe.
stod73 stod73 is offline stod73 has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 832 posts.

Experience: Karma Chameleon
08-Dec-2005, 05:40 PM #14
Did you try pressing F10 at the post data screen (skip pressing ESC)?

Try booting with no hard drive. You should be able to access the BIOS without one...
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 06:57 PM #15
http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/compaq.htm

That may explain the 'hidden' partition I mentioned earlier.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!