Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Strike f1 to retry boot, f2 to enter system utility

(!)

Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Dec-2005, 01:17 AM #1
I tryed reinstalling my OS to clean up my hardrive and halfway through installing my os my computer reset and I got this error

I figured that maybe it was a hardrive problem so I went out and bought a new hardrive

I put my new hardrive in the dell screen loads up. The computer beeps twice and it goes to a black screen with nothing but

on the screen. When I hit f1 it repeats the message. When I hit f2 it takes me to my bios. I checked my bios and under harddrive it has my hardrives model and capacity, Everything is ok and it locates my hardrive. I also ran my IDE Diagnostics and It passed. So if it can find my hardrive what else could be the problem?

I am running a Dell Dimension 4600, It doesnt have a floppy drive and All I have are the dell discs with it including the os disc. I tried putting the os disc in but I still get the error.

Your thoughts?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,544 posts.

Experience: Have caught the Tech bug Virus
09-Dec-2005, 01:27 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltAir041
I tryed reinstalling my OS to clean up my hardrive and halfway through installing my os my computer reset and I got this error

I figured that maybe it was a hardrive problem so I went out and bought a new hardrive

I put my new hardrive in the dell screen loads up. The computer beeps twice and it goes to a black screen with nothing but

on the screen. When I hit f1 it repeats the message. When I hit f2 it takes me to my bios. I checked my bios and under harddrive it has my hardrives model and capacity, Everything is ok and it locates my hardrive. I also ran my IDE Diagnostics and It passed. So if it can find my hardrive what else could be the problem?

I am running a Dell Dimension 4600, It doesnt have a floppy drive and All I have are the dell discs with it including the os disc. I tried putting the os disc in but I still get the error.

Your thoughts?
Sorry the disk you have from Dell from hell is just a restore disk. Restored from the hd you just replaced. The restore disk will not work on the new drive you just bought
Member with 102 posts.

09-Dec-2005, 01:34 AM #3
so buying windows xp will fix my problem?
SirKenin SirKenin is offline SirKenin has a Profile Picture
Account Disabled with 964 posts.

Experience: Can you repeat that in terms a 5yr old would get?
09-Dec-2005, 08:08 AM #4
No, buying Windows XP will not fix your problem. There is nothing wrong with the restore disks you have and the new HDD. The restore disks aren't tied to the drive, they are tied to the mainboard.

I'm not quite sure what it is, considering it is a proprietary rig. I would be checking the RAM myself if I was working on it. My last resort would be to consider the mainboard. So try the RAM idea and see if that solves any problems. It's a long shot, but the mainboard is even a longer one. Other than that, I have no idea what to suggest.
Member with 7,794 posts.

09-Dec-2005, 12:41 PM #5
Do you have the full Dell diagnostic disc? If so run all of the tests.
Member with 102 posts.

09-Dec-2005, 08:16 PM #6
yeah the memory and everything are fine, I am not 100% sure about my motherboard though.
Member with 102 posts.

09-Dec-2005, 08:31 PM #7
hopfuly I can pick out the right kind of motherboard
Member with 7,794 posts.

10-Dec-2005, 12:21 PM #8
I would post your problem in the Dell Forum . If a new MB is needed it's a good place to ask about that also. Dell is supposedly now using standard PS wiring but I think the MB and case setup are still proprietary.
Junior Member with 16 posts.

10-Dec-2005, 03:01 PM #9
Have you reset your bios to default settings?
Senior Member with 3,992 posts.

12-Dec-2005, 12:59 PM #10
Have you tryed partitioning and formatting your new drive yet?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Oct-2007, 05:26 PM #11
f1 and f2 start up
LISTEN CAREFULLY........... I HAVE THE SOLUTION............. I HAD THE SAME ISSUE.. ALL IT IS IS A BIOS RESET.. THEN THE MOTHERBOARD WILL FIND THE NEW HARDWARE.. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO........

WHEN THAT SCREEN F1 OR F2 SCREEN COMES UP MAKE SURE...
1) CAPS LOCK LIGHT IS ON
2) NUMBERS LOCK LIGHT IS ON
3) SCROLL LOCK LIGHT IS ON
ALL 3 LIGHTS ON KEYBOARD MUST BE ON...
THEN YOU PRESS ...
1) (ALT TAB) E
2) (ALT TAB) F
3) (ALT TAB) B
THE COMPUTER WILL RESTART ON ITS OWN AND THATS IT YOUR DONE.. BIOS ARE RESET... THANKS AND LATER.....
The_Roman
Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Oct-2007, 09:57 PM #12
Thanks so much for this site and for "The Roman" who posted that great answer (which worked like a charm!). Thank God for the internet. How many hours would we burn on a problem like this trying to find the right answer... Here's another link to the same solution and some others from a former Dell tech...
[start link] http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...en&cs=19&s=dhs [end link]
Tomorrow will be a much better day!
catdancin'

26-Oct-2007, 12:00 PM #13
So happy to be of some service to you... i know the feeling when the allmighty computer is down..... !!!!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

27-Apr-2008, 12:39 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdancin View Post
Thanks so much for this site and for "The Roman" who posted that great answer (which worked like a charm!). Thank God for the internet. How many hours would we burn on a problem like this trying to find the right answer... Here's another link to the same solution and some others from a former Dell tech...
[start link] http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...en&cs=19&s=dhs [end link]
Tomorrow will be a much better day!
catdancin'
Thanks to the links from Catdancin" and the Roman's advice, I very confidently tried the steps listed and followed the previous Dell Techs recommended proceedure. I was very thankful for the new knowledge, but alas, I am still getting the screen for F1 and F2... on my Dell Dimension 2400. I removed each PCI, and disconnected each drive, then reconnected each individually... The new hard drive passed the diagnostics.
Oh my...
I set the boot sequence in the Bios screen to the DVD drive which is the secondary master, and I "uninstalled" the floppy drive though there is still the "diskette seek failure".
I will so appreciate assistance!!!!!!
Thanks!

28-Apr-2008, 04:04 PM #15
I am Glad that someone had a chance to read this thread. i know what a ***** it can be to have a stupid issue like that to ruin hours and hours of your time. peace out ... The_Roman
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!