Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Primary hard disk drive 0 not found

(!)

Member with 378 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Dec-2005, 07:05 PM #1
Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
Well after 5 years of internet bliss I believe I got a virus that totally screwed up my computer. I went to turn my computer on this morning and it won't boot. I get this message saying Primary hard disk drive 0 not found. Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility. Hit the F1 key and the same message comes up. Hit the F2 and the setup utility came up but I really have no clue what to do in there. I run Norton Antivirus with the subscription updates. I have my Windows Firewall turned on. I also scan for Trojans pretty frequently with a Trojan Remover program I have had for years. Not sure exactly what has happened but maybe I somehow got this virus updating the MSN Messenger program I have had for years also. I have no clue what to do to fix this. Is this a lost cause?
Member with 320 posts.

Experience: gettting better
25-Dec-2005, 07:27 PM #2
Just had the same problem cured by the guys here.When you get into setup (F2) Scroll to primary drive 0 press enter to open,space bar to put it auto,enter ,escape to exit.Or you can wait for the big guys.
Member with 378 posts.

25-Dec-2005, 08:25 PM #3
Did you notice your tower making weird noises to?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,206 posts.

25-Dec-2005, 08:30 PM #4
Being that it is 5 years old, there is a good chance the hd has failed. Here are some things to check.

During the post, do you see your hd detected?

When you enter the bios, what does it show for drives?

Is the bios set to auto detect the drive?
Member with 1,883 posts.

25-Dec-2005, 08:30 PM #5
If your tower is making weird noises, that may mean that you could be in a bit of trouble there.

If you're only talking about rattling noises or whatever, open up your case and clean for dust (don't you dare use a vaccuum- static electricity can be pretty bad) using a can of compressed air or a soft clean cloth on the sides of the case (not on the components).

Strange noises could very well mean that your fans are caked with dust, but it could also mean that you may indeed have something broken/ dying inside your case.
Member with 378 posts.

25-Dec-2005, 10:28 PM #6
During the post? Not sure what your gettin at there but I am on my other computer right now.

Being that it is 5 years old, there is a good chance the hd has failed. Here are some things to check.

During the post, do you see your hd detected?

When you enter the bios, what does it show for drives?

Is the bios set to auto detect the drive?[/QUOTE]
Computer Specs

25-Dec-2005, 10:30 PM #7
POST= power on self test. It is the verbiage you see during start-up when you drives are detected, etc.
Member with 378 posts.

25-Dec-2005, 10:43 PM #8
It won't even go past the Dell startup. It normally goes from Dell to Windows Xp. I had to put in the recovery disk to be able to get into setup. In the bios. It says Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device. It is set to auto by the way. Under the boot sequence it says 1. Hard disk drive (not installed) 2. IDE CD-Rom Device 3. Diskette Drive. All these are checked before each number if that means much. Not sure what to do. I believe my hard drive was wiped out. I am looking for a boot cd. I thought Dell sent one with my computer but I dont see one. I have all the disks. Guess I should have made one a long time ago LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver
POST= power on self test. It is the verbiage you see during start-up when you drives are detected, etc.

Last edited by JMT74; 25-Dec-2005 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Member with 378 posts.

26-Dec-2005, 03:28 PM #9
Before I take my computer in to get fix
Before I take my computer in to get fixed someone tell me if I can fix it myself by installing a new hard drive and loading all the Disks Dell sent with it. Thanks.
Senior Member with 3,992 posts.

27-Dec-2005, 11:31 AM #10
If the hard drive has failed you should be able to replace the hard drive yourself fairly easily. The disks dell sent should resore the operating system and programs. You will probably need to change the boot order so that number 1 is cdrom, then the hard drive.
Member with 378 posts.

27-Dec-2005, 03:18 PM #11
How would I know if I need to change the boot order? Is this for reinstallation purposes?
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2005, 06:45 PM #12
Yes. Generally you need to make sure the CD drive is before the hd in the boot order. You can change it back when you are finished if you desire. I leave mine set to CD then the boot hd always.
Member with 378 posts.

28-Dec-2005, 12:11 AM #13
Hi. Wanted your opinion on what hard drive I should buy? I had a 120gb hard drive. Should I stay with the same 120gb or go higher?

Quote:
Yes. Generally you need to make sure the CD drive is before the hd in the boot order. You can change it back when you are finished if you desire. I leave mine set to CD then the boot hd always.
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2005, 08:13 AM #14
That old of a system, you may have a bios limitation of
Member with 378 posts.

28-Dec-2005, 03:36 PM #15
Well it's not that old. I got that computer in January of 2003. It's a Dell Dimension 8250 with 2.66 ghz.

Quote:
That old of a system, you may have a bios limitation of
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!