Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

hard drive making alot of noise lately

(!)

Member with 310 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Jan-2006, 03:47 PM #1
hard drive making alot of noise lately
when i first go my hard drive, a sata seagate barracuda, it made no noise at all. but lately, its making alot of grnding sort of noise. like a fidgeting noise. even when opening a folder that has all my programs installers, it will make a long fidget noise. does htis mean my hd is failing? i dont want to buy another harddrive
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Antec TruePower 550W
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2006, 04:05 PM #2
If your sure its coming from the hard drive and not a fan I would backup all your data while you still can, if it is the hard drive making the noise it could be starting to fail.
Member with 310 posts.

02-Jan-2006, 06:08 PM #3
yea, its definatly the hard drive thats making the noise. by backing up all my data, u mean like save everything anto cd's?

oh and is there a way to prevent this happeneing again in the future? because i wouldnt want this to happen again to the hard drive that i might buy.
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Antec TruePower 550W
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
02-Jan-2006, 06:29 PM #4
cliff: MIGHT buy my foot. If your hard drive is making noises and you want to keep computing, you're definately going to buy a new HDD.
Backing up is just copying everything you cannot live without to your CDRW and burning that data. Don't worry about programs, if you still have the disks for them you can reinstall them. It's the data in the programs that you want to save.
Anything you can redownload-music-spyware programs, etc. don't worry about.
It's not hard to do but it is time consuming.
There is a free program for backing up all your drivers if you need to. It is called Double Drive. Google for it and download , install and run. Copy all the drivers to a floppy or CD and you'll have it when you set up your new HDD.
Have fun.

And my first home-built.
First Build: Biostar M7ncd-AthlonXP2800+-WindowsXP Home-SP3 -80G Hdd-GeforceFX 5500 8X AGP Video-1280 Mgs RAM-LAN-DVDRW-CDRW-430 w. TR2 Thermaltake PSU
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Jan-2006, 06:45 PM #5
Of course, if you have something like Acronis True Image and an external USB drive, you can make an image of everything in a few minutes.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 469 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2006, 08:13 PM #6
Yeah, its failing... Seagate has a 5-year warranty on it though.... (check on their website) You could probably get a free new one.
Member with 158 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 01:49 AM #7
I have a strange problem in my pc too. I am using windowsME and I use MSIE to surf the net.

Many times, when I want to go to a new site, the internet explorer will seems to hang half way, with the blue bar at the status bar showing halfway and stopped, and so I decided to wait, thinking that my pc is old and maybe there are heavy traffics etc, then all of a sudden, IE became alive and I could see the web page coming out, but when this happen, my PC also produce a lot of rattling sound. Is this sound the harddisk or the processor, etc.

Thanks
Member with 310 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 04:58 PM #8
sigh, sorta mad, only had this hd for about 5 months. and i've noticed a drop in fps in games lately too. anyone recommend a good reliable hd? maybe this time around 80gb? or is there no such thing as a long lasting one, do you just have to get lucky hd?
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Antec TruePower 550W
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!