Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AMD vs Pentium Processors

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jan-2006, 02:35 PM #1
AMD vs Pentium Processors
I am going to buy a new desktop. In my price range I have a choice of an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640. I use the desktop PC for photo editing (Adobe Photoshop), MS Office, and AOL. I don't use it for 3-D gaming.

Is one processor any better for what I'm planning to do? The desktop with the AMD is about $50 less expensive.

Thanks for any advice.
ChRoNo16 ChRoNo16 is offline ChRoNo16 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 725 posts.

Experience: Super Computer Nerd
28-Jan-2006, 02:42 PM #2
i would go for the AMD, if its cheaper, Pentiums are a little more powerful, but AMD will do what you need easilly.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,368 posts.

28-Jan-2006, 02:43 PM #3
What's you price range ?
The P4 640 series is a couple of gererations old now ... but I love mine.
The new P4 900's are hitting the shelves now.
Don't know anything about them yet.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

28-Jan-2006, 03:16 PM #4
what version of photoshop do you use?

I would pick up the 3800 regardless, but make sure its a socket 939 with hopefully the Venice core and an Nforce chipset for the mobo.

28-Jan-2006, 05:17 PM #5
Thanks for the responses.

To answer the questions asked of me:

1) Both the AMD and the Pentium 4 640 are in the $600-700 range, excluding the monitor

2) I am using Photoshop CS 2. Will this make a difference as to which processor would be preferable?

One response suggested that the Pentium 4 640 is an older processor. Is the AMD 3800 a more up to date processor? One other thing I forgot to mention is that at times I have 5 or 6 windows open at one time. On my Pentium 3 that slows down my system tremendously.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2006, 05:57 PM #6
The P4 600 series was replaced with the P4 800 series about 3 months later.
My P4 640 was the first to show up in a HP M7070n Media Center that I got last about February so it's not really that old.

I have dual screens and have no fear about running several windows which may include CS2 and TV from my second video card.
My P4 640, 1GB RAM, keeps up with me.

What models are you looking at ?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 392 posts.

28-Jan-2006, 06:06 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loserOlimbs
make sure its a socket 939 with hopefully the Venice core and an Nforce chipset for the mobo.
That is the best, but for what he needs his computer for (MSO, AOL, APS), a socket 754 would still be twice as powerful as needed for that tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
at times I have 5 or 6 windows open at one time. On my Pentium 3 that slows down my system tremendously
having mulitple windows open within the same program does not really strain your CPU, it just increases your memory needs. On the flipside, if those 5 or 6 windows all belong to different programs, that will stress your whole system out.

for what you will use your computer for, having sufficient memory is more important then the processor. you rae taking a huge leap going from a P3 to a AMD64, you could get a socketA system for 1/2 the cost of what you mentioned and it would still be enough for your specific computing needs

28-Jan-2006, 06:47 PM #8
While I have used PC's for 25 years, I am not much of a technical guy. I have no idea what sockets are. The two desktops I have been looking at are an HP Pavillion A1340N (Pentium 4 640 processor) and an HP Pavillion Media Center A1330N (AMD Athlon 3800+ processor). Both have 1gb of memory. They are both at Circuit City, although I think they may be sold elsewhere with different model numbers. The AMD is $60 less and has better reviews (at the Circuit City website) than the Pentium. If these two machines are way too much for what I need, any specific recommendations would be appreciated. I'd prefer HP s I have friends who have nothing but grief with Dell and Compaq.
Account Disabled with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jan-2006, 07:36 PM #9
build your own computer it dosent take a genius. Thing about it those computers at circuit city are usually junk inside they will have 1 year warrantee etc. Unlike if you buy a boxed processor from intel it will have a 3 year warantee. Then circuit city will try to sell you $100 different things you wont even need with it so by time then you will be out the door and spent at least $1000.

People on here can say what they want but i know. Go buy a brand new Sony Viao computer open the case up and look at the cheap motherboards they use and if it has a intel fan on the processor that will be amazing usually they use cheap after market fans. I sold a guy a motherboard and processor to replace his junk in his VIAO on ebay. He told me he coulnt believe how cheap it was when he opened it it was nothing like the motherboard/cpu he got from me. He said the VIAO had a cheap fan that complete broke off in it. He figured it fried.

If you dont have the skills to build your own computer, I'll build you one how bout that and it will last alot longer. But not forever, all electronics eventually wear out.

If your gonna spend your money you might as well get the new Pentium D processor Its a dual core processor kinda like doing 2 things at once with the new pentium D. Then you wont have to really upgrade later. Eventually you will have too.

People can get on here and talk all this and that about there Dell, Compaq, Sony, e-machines, whatever most of them are junk inside. They use Pentium stuff yes. But usually it has a 1 yr waranttee compared to a boxed processor that has 3 yrs. That way when they put some cheap power supply in it. Then say in a year or two that power supply goes up and fries everything in it like my girls junk emachines comptuer did with some junk AMD processor in it. If you dont know nothing you will take it back to circuit city/bestbuy whereever you get it and they will want to charge you out the ying yang to fix it. Then they will probably say this why fix this one? when you can go back and upgrade for a couple more $100 buck and get a newer faster one cause they will give you some outrageous price to fix it. Im dead serious dude thats how they work. Its about making money and sales. Just like go asks the salesman about either computer he will tell you whatever he can pump into you to get that sale. They get paid on commission of sales also.

But if you wanna go waste your money and say a year or 2 down the road you hae a problem dont say i didnt tell you here and now. Id rather see you get your money worth thats all cause i surely would want to waste my hard earned money on some junk.

Its kinda like me putting P4mastergeek on a computer case and selling it to you for $1500 and putting about $500 worth of stuff in it is all those computers at bestbuy circuit city is about.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,106 posts.

28-Jan-2006, 08:06 PM #10
AMD dual core 3800+ paired up with a couple gigs of ram will do ya fine.

28-Jan-2006, 08:06 PM #11
P4MasterGeek- Thanks for your good advice. However, while many people have a lot of knowledge and patience with technology, I don't. All I want to do is use it- I have little interest otherwise. As a result, I'm going to feel more comfortable with a name brand which has a warranty on the entire unit. My credit card gives me one additional year of warranty free of charge. I don't want to have to ship it anyplace- I want to take it to a local manufacturer's warranty station or back to the store for warranty service. I appreciate your offer to build one for me, but I hope you'll understand where I'm at.
Account Disabled with 24 posts.

28-Jan-2006, 08:12 PM #12
yea i understand where your coming from as long as your covered for a couple years go for it. Beleive me i know about not having patience with computers only if you really knew how many times i would just leave mine set till i calmed down to fix it cause it drove me nuts to the point you wanna throw it in a dumpster. But yea i can understand where your coming for just really see what kinda warantte they have when you get your desktop that way your investement is covered in the long run. ya know? I mean im sure you dont wanna lay out $1000 and a year later the power supply go up on it then it fry everything. But i would look at the dual core pentiums if i were you probably the best on the market now. Figure its like having 2 processors in one and if you spend a couple more $100 on a pentium d, your better off in the long run with processing power.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2006, 08:18 PM #13
Other than the $70 difference (Compusa prices) ... the 1340 has the 3.2 Ghz P4-640 and the 33% faster PC2-4200 RAM.
The P4-640 is 64bit windows ready.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ay%5Fprice%7C1

You can open all the windows you want and still run Photoshop ... the processor fan won't even bother to pickup speed.

On either computer - I would shop for a sale and get a video card that has onboard memory instead of sharing it with RAM.
I just got my second video card with 128MB memory for $29 - to run my second monitor.
Then you can open even more windows - if you can find the monitor space.

Either computer will spoil you as compared to a P3.

Last edited by Noyb; 28-Jan-2006 at 08:27 PM..

28-Jan-2006, 11:02 PM #14
The Pentium D processor is quite a bit more and probably more than I need to spend for what I need.

One more question. Someone mentioned the HP A1340N with Pentium 640 has a 3.2GHz speed vs, 2.4GHz for the AMD (HP A1330N). The Pentium model also has 2MB of L2 cache (vs. 512kb for the AMD) and an 800MHz front side bus (vs. 2000MHz system bus for the AMD). Putting all this together, which machine is going to give me more bang for the buck?

Thanks so much for the great info you're providing me.

30-Jan-2006, 11:57 AM #15
Anyone able to advise me on the tradeoff between the slower processor and faster bus speed?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!