Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

one computer, 2 printers?

(!)

Member with 2,064 posts.

12-Feb-2006, 04:05 PM #1
one computer, 2 printers?
I had a pc with WIN 98 SE and a Lexmark 5150 All in one printer (scanner, fax)

Worked good. I have an install CD that came with it, I used, and also a download (updated) driver on a homemade CD (zip file) that I've also used (on the old pc). Both the CD and zip file open and install (the All in One center) on their own, without "add new hardware" (or printer) which we're told to cancel if it comes up. Probably because it's not just a printer.

Now I have a new Dell (XPS 400) pc with Win XP (which I'm not used to, so learning while setting eveything up)

I also got (not from Dell) a Canon ip4200 printer.

Both printers use USB ports and the new PC has 3 on the back (plus the keyboard and mouse) and 2 on the front. Previously I asked around (not on this board) and everyone I thought knew said I could install 2 printers, as long as I had enough USB ports for everything, which I do.

I want to keep the Lexmark All around, because it's also a scanner and FAX (I rarely, but sometimes need) though the photocopy can be used on it's own without a computer.

I installed the Canon 4200 in the new pc and it works. Desktop icons, set itself as default printer. Also under printers it shows "fax" but I think this is one that comes with Windows (my old one was Ring Central Fax)

When I installed the Lexmark, it didn't show up, didn't put icons on the desktop, and didn't show in "printers". It showed in DEVICE MANAGER (I don't know much about, especially with XP) under "other devices" with yellow ! on it, also (subfolder of this) it said "SCAN" (with yellow !) I think it may be calling itself a scanner instead of printer because one is listed already. Thinking back maybe I should have left it like this and found the All in One Center in Program Files, sent a shortcut to the desktop and tried opening it that way.

What I thought was, they would both install and be listed, I could pick one as default and then if I wanted to use the other, scroll to it when the PRINT OKAY box came up. Since this shows other printers/fax, etc it seems like the option is there for this reason. If you have several printers, one as default and want to choose another?

I took all I could find (Lexmark) out, and tried the original installation CD instead of the (newer) downloaded zip file one I had used first (both of these have worked with my previous computer)

Now, everytime I try installing the Lexmark, after it seems to install an error box comes up saying

X SEVERE
Callto RegDB Create key failed

I have no idea what this means.

No icons come on (there should be an All in One Center to open) and it still says only the Canon printer (default) and FAX in "printers". The Lexmark software doesn't show in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and START>PROGRAMS. Though all the files, probably from the zip file) are in PROGRAM FILES.

Maybe I should have installed the Lexmark All in ONe first? I don't want to take the Canon out now, and do this, because I might end up with none of them working.

I thought for a bit the downloaded Lexmark software (which was newer than my installation CD I got with it) might not be for WINDOWS XP. But, I got the printer about a year ago, and the CD that came with it just says WINDOWS OS on it.

It's probably confusing to say what I already did and should have done, etc At this point it's what can I do NOW?

Thanks,
~ Carrie
Member with 658 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2006, 05:24 PM #2
Well your Canon shouldn't be interfering with your Lexmark at all. It sounds like the drivers for the Lexmark aren't the right ones. I would go to device manager and remove anything that has the ? mark beside it. Then unplug your printer (From USB). Go to lexmark's website and download the newest XP driver for your model. Make sure and get the full package. Install the software first and then plug your printer back in. If the software asks you to plug it in, do so, if not, wait till it installs before plugging it in.
Member with 1,912 posts.

12-Feb-2006, 06:24 PM #3
If you google your problem it is apparent that there are a number of issues with the drivers and XP.

Try Matt_aj's suggestion.

You can download drivers from here: http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...&searchLang=en
Member with 2,064 posts.

12-Feb-2006, 09:31 PM #4
Okay, I downloaded a new driver (said for XP) from Lexmark.

It unzipped, saved, started to install. The first time it said LXMamcro.dll was missing. I found this file with the others. So, tried again.

This time, like before (with the other driver or CD) an error box comes up says Call to RegDBCreatKey failed (it's run together like that)

I put it in google search and couldn't find anything specific about it, in one it mentioned something about popups, so I checked to see if this was enabled (like the AOL Browser I'm trying to get rid of that dl'd with AIM instant message) It has a popup stopper option but I have it set to allow popups.
Maybe WIN XP or something else has a popup stopped going? I'm new to XP and keep getting messages from Windows Security Center or something. Nothing to do with popups or printers that I can see. I have everything closed that might be running (that I can see) before installing.
Oh, it does ask that the printer be plugged in (USB) before it tries to install. It says it can't find out, and to plug it in.
When it installs up to the error about the CAll to RegDBCreateKey failed it goes into System's Manager as "other" with the yellow ! sign. So, I take it out.
Call to RegDBCreateKey is like a foreign language (to me) Is it something in the computer (Windows has) or coming with all the versions of the Lexmark drivers? Doesn't seem like it would be missing in them all.
I'm confused (and once again frustrated by not understanding this. It SEEMS like it should go right in and work!)

Good to know I can have the two printers and that shouldn't be a problem, though.

Carrie
Member with 658 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2006, 09:36 PM #5
Sounds like it's trying to create a registry key and errors out. Do you have admin rights to this machine or are you set up as a limited user? You can check by going to the control panel > User accounts.

Do you have any other security software in place besides windows built in stuff? It could be a spyware blocker keeping it from editing the registry.
Member with 2,064 posts.

12-Feb-2006, 09:56 PM #6
I looked in google again, and found a lot of posts in foreign languages that didn't translate too well. Several mentioned "install shield wizard" and also had scripts (and reg key stuff) written out. I'm not up to this unless I had specific step by step (including obvious ones (LOL) directions.

I just got WIN XP (new computer) a few days ago. I don't know if I'm the administrator or not, I mean I'm the only one who uses it. I tried to set it up without separate names but it said I had to put one in so I put mine.

I don't know where to look to see if I'm the administrator, but I'm the only one using the computer.

When I was looking for this I noticed the Lexmark All in One Center (software) is in PROGRAMS. I clicked on it, thinking it might have installed in spite of the error message and got another error:

Microsoft Vixual C ++Runtime Library
X Runtime Error!
Program c:\Program Files\LexmarkX5150Series\bybaalox.ene
This application has requested he runtim to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

In Device manager- system devices there is SCAN under imaging devices with a red X through it. Not sure this was there before.

In settings- printers there's the Canon one installed and default and "FAX" but this has been there all along, maybe the fax program WIN puts in. When the Lexmark All in One is installed, and the center opens there's a setting for FAX.

This is like a foreign language to me. I know from experience, such problems are someimes some little thing that can be fixed, (if someone knows how) and sometimes a lot has to be tried and gone over.

I'm trying to think of everything I can that might be related to this. As I said I'm new to XP, too so not sure where a lot of things are in it.
Member with 2,064 posts.

13-Feb-2006, 11:38 AM #7
It's now Monday.... I'm thinking if I can't find the answer to this, I'll make space and put it back on the old WIN 98 SE computer I now have set up in another rooom. I'd only be using it for occasional scanning, RARE faxing (usually for someone else) and printing out a page or two I want to remember from online or something.

I probably should have the two computers networked and use them together, but this is somewthing I haven't attempted yet, and know little (nothing) about. I have CD burners in both of them, so can transfer back and forth like that (or via my email)

Aside from this, I usually like to find out answers and get things to work JUST TO FIND OUT THE ANSWERS AND GET THEM TO WORK!

You probably know what I mean
Member with 2,064 posts.

13-Feb-2006, 03:31 PM #8
Monday, later.... Not sure if this is the answer for all (with this problem) but I got the printer to working. I'm going to write this out in detail as best I can "for the archives". Going by Google searches, it seems others have been having the same problem, putting this printer in with WIN XP (which my new computer is)

The software for it (Lexmark Z5150) had been installing, I found it in START>PROGRAMS the Lexmark All in One Center. It seemed like evrything but the printer was installed.

Going by Lexmark directions, and what worked with my old computer with WIN 98 SE, it asks that the printer be plugged in before putting in the installation CD. Since it's more than just a printer (scanner, fax, copier) it probably needed this, rather than the ADD NEW HARDWARE wizard. It says if this comes up to cancel it.

Today, I found the Lexmark folder in C>PROGRAM FILES>LEXMARK5150 and found the folder with all the drivers in it. I burned them all (opened them all in the cd burning program so hey came on as separate files and no a folder, not sure if this was needed, I haven't had much luck with installing drivers from cds so far (LOL)

Then I used the ADD NEW HARDWARE wizard (from Control Panel) and when it came to finding a driver, I put in the CD ROM drive. It found the driver and added it.

Now the Lexmark works the way it should. As I had wanted, I can set one (that or the new Canon) as default, but scroll and choose which one I want when the print dialogue box comes up.

I don't know if this has been the answer all along, is the answer with proglems installing it with XP or if it will work for everyone who needs to try it. Bascially, installing the CD that came with the All in One (or downloaded from Lexmark- I had 3 sources of it in all, I tried yesterday) This apparently puts in the programs (fax, scan, etc) but not the printer. Copying the printer drivers FROM this sofware, onto a CD (also, pointing the wizard to them in the file on C drive- I would think? but I wanted to make sure and have them all right where I knew they were) and installing the printer part of it separate from the All in One.
Note: I never had to do this, or anything except use the install CD when I put it in (several times) my old PC with WIN 98 SE. And the install CD (and download) SAYS WINDOWS. The one I downloaded actually said WIN XP on it, and wouldn't work. The driver had to be put in separately (which I don't believe any of the directions that came with it said might be a possibility)
On another side note, I printed a sample picture from Paint Shop Pro 7 on both the Lexmark 5150 and the Canon ip4200 and the Canon is MUCH better. Which is what I was hoping for when I recently got it- better for printing pictures. I put the pictures together, and scanned them (realizing using the Lexmark scanner might effect the quality, based on how good THAT is) and put it together with the original (from PSP- NOT printed or scanned) but it shows the Canon gets the colors better. Still doing the best I can with what I have (and can afford). This picture could probably have been made brighter and more contrast and printed brighter, too. It was just for a test (and to verify I could use both printers, by changing them in the print-okay box)

This is aside from the problem of installing the printer (LOL)

As to installing the Lexmark 5150 All in One on my Dell computer (with WIN XP) it seems to be RESOLVED.
Attached Thumbnails
one computer, 2 printers?-printers_samples.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 11,370 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Feb-2006, 06:41 PM #9
From the looks of things it appears that you are lacking red tones in the lexmark printer. That is not right. Are you sure there isnt an adjustment in the lexmark software that lets you tune up your colors? It almost appears as the the red (Magenta) in your ink cartidge is empty.

13-Feb-2006, 07:21 PM #10

Thanks, I didn't even think of that, when comparing the two pictures.

The color ink shows it's not even close to empty. I'll try cleaning it (via the program) and printing something that's just red (making a red square) and see how it comes out. But, when I was installing the driver, it gave the option of printing a test print (Lexmark logo, peacock and three squares under it, C-M-Y-K) I just looked at this (closer) and it seems like the M(agenta) is red.

As to adjustments on the printer, I don't know about that. I printed the picture the way it came up in PSP (it's in their files as a sample picture) and it look perfect on the screen. I mainly printed the picture with both printers, to make sure they were both working, not to test the quality of the printer.

~ Carrie
Computer Specs
Member with 11,370 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Feb-2006, 08:44 PM #11
did you install this cartridge new before you installed the printer? Sometimes the Ink monitor will reset itself and appear to be full. Did that on my old Lexmark X75. Real drag when you are in the middle of printing something and it runs out of ink Dont know if they have changed the way the Ink Monitor reads the ink though
Member with 2,064 posts.

13-Feb-2006, 11:15 PM #12
I know what you mean about the ink levels resetting to full. I just printed out a square in red and it came out red. I went to the All in One Center to print out a test page, and it says there's a file missing or corrupted and can't open up that section and to reinstal the software, which I did and same error. Though everything else works (the print, scan, etc) I guess that will be tomorrow's project, finding out what file the "print troubleshooting" is, finding it and replacing it.

I got a new computer because I wanted things to work, so I could actually do things with it and not have to fight with it and keep fixing or reinstalling, etc.

Maybe at some point!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!