Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Motherboard Tattoo

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 06:42 PM #1
HP Motherboard Tattoo
I have an HP Pavilion 533w that I accepted as a trade-in. The Motherboard is shot and needs to be replaced. I am aware that the replacement board must be Tattooed and I have the software to perform this task.

My question is do I need to use the exact same type of motherboard that HP used, or can I use any motherboard that will fit in the case and accept the old CPU, Memory, Etc.?

Thanks in advance.
dad47
Member with 7,794 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:01 PM #2
"I am aware that the replacement board must be Tattooed"

OK I'll admit my ignorance. What does this mean?
Member with 44 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:19 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton850
"I am aware that the replacement board must be Tattooed"

OK I'll admit my ignorance. What does this mean?
Basically, the motherboard serial numb., mem type, cpu, hdd size are flashed to the Bios and or hdd recovery partition. If this is not performed the recovery disk set will not restore your system. You will get a non system disk error or something similar.
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Mar-2006, 07:20 PM #4
After checking, and thinking ive never heard of this.., the 'whatis' definition of a motherboard tattoo is..

A motherboard tattoo is a unique code that can be written in the basic input/output system (BIOS) of a computer to ensure that System Restore or diagnostic compact discs (CDs) will work only on the machine or line of machines with which the CDs are sold. The tattoo process ensures that recovery or diagnostic CDs cannot be illegally used with computers other than those for which they are intended to be used.
A tattoo consists of an erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) chip that contains information about the machine, such as the serial number and operating system data. This chip is unique to each machine. If the motherboard, or certain components on it, are replaced, the EPROM chip must be reprogrammed. The same is true if the original recovery or diagnostic CDs are lost. The technical support department of the computer vendor, or the technician who performed modifications or repairs, should be contacted for details about the reprogramming (re-tattooing) process.

As for the initial question, imo it doesnt require 'tattooing' simply fit another board in the case, which accepts the cpu and ram, and your in business. Reload your OS, and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

Be Safe
Nige
Comptiia A+ Cert

12-Mar-2006, 07:22 PM #5
If the board is shot, then the bios will be gone anyhow, and the system restore, and recovery features will have no avail. aka A new mobo = new bios
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,354 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:25 PM #6
You'll need the HP replacement motherboard. Or toss the Recovery CD's with the dead motherboard, and the sad HP case and PSU, and get yourself a real computer.
Senior Member with 172 posts.

Experience: Beginner to Intermediate
12-Mar-2006, 07:29 PM #7
After reading what you guys said, is it possible to get a new motherboard for my HP desktop and still be able to use the recovery discs? My HP mobo doesn't come with any PCI-e slots (although clearly there's a space for a 16x PCI-e on the board that is purposely left out by the manufacturer) and I want to get a better one

So if I get a new motherboard and perform that 'tattoo' technique (lol), will I be able to use my recovery discs?

12-Mar-2006, 07:34 PM #8
I wouldnt bother with the recovery disks, like triple6 mentioned, bin them, and reload the OS, and all your other associated programs. Does the same job as the recovery disks, and you have total control over what you load!. Not what HP thinks you need loaded
Member with 44 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:44 PM #9
the information is flashed to the bios of the new motherboard so that recovery disks read it as part of the original system, and allows windows to be restored.
Member with 44 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:48 PM #10
It does if you have the retail version of windows. doing the tattoo saves $$$$$$. you don't have to buy windows.

12-Mar-2006, 07:58 PM #11
The JGG, the problem is HP only supplies the customers with recovery disks. HP doesn't give us the original OS cd.

dad47, so you're saying that it CAN BE DONE? Do you know any place that can do it? I want to upgrade my HP desktop! The lack of PCI-e slots ticks me off.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,354 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 08:05 PM #12
I don't see how you can 'tattoo' a non-HP board, if it involves faslhing the BIOS then you'll overwrite the correct BIOS on the new motherboard which will render the motherboard unuseable.
Member with 7,794 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 08:08 PM #13
You're right the recovery CDs won't work with a new MB. I don't really see how the tatooing will change things. The recovery CD is not going to load the right drivers.

12-Mar-2006, 08:14 PM #14
Is it possible to just 'extract' the OS part of the recovery disks?
Or use someone's windows xp cd and enter my own activation key of my OEM OS?
Member with 44 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 08:36 PM #15
you are right, and just answered my question. If the same type of mb is used to replace the bad one it would load the correct drivers after being tattooed. using a different type would not work as you stated due to different drivers.

thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!