Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Diabetes Meter upload via serial cable

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

23-Mar-2006, 06:42 PM #1
Question Diabetes Meter upload via serial cable
Help! Spent 1 hour with tech support and they couldn't help me. I have Windows xp. Just installed Medisense Precision Link Direct Software to upload data from my Precision Xtra Diabetes meter. It connects via a serial cable. None of the com ports would work. The support guy had me disable each com port in turn from the device manager, then re-enable. Still no luck I get one of 2 error messages--"can't open port" or "transfer failed. check connections. 10300" Com ports 1 and 2 appear in the device manager. Com 3 does not. The process seemes to go furthest when com 3 is used, but all 3 eventually lead to one of the messages. When I try to add a new com port, it adds com 6, whnich doesn't do anything.

I disabled my palm application and uninterruptible power supply because he said they can sometimes caputre the ports, even when not serial devices.

They are stumped and so am I. Have any of you used this software or meter? Any suggestions on taming serial ports? Thanks.
Linda
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

23-Mar-2006, 07:55 PM #2
Are you sure you have the correct cable? When something like this happens, I jumper pin 2 to 3 on a serial connector and use HyperTerminal to see if they echo typed characters.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
23-Mar-2006, 07:58 PM #3
The port may be set at the wrong speed or the data bits, parity, stop bit and flow control may need to be modified. Ask them is any of these settings need to be changed.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2006, 08:13 PM #4
I would assume that the application should know this if it came with the instrument...

23-Mar-2006, 09:26 PM #5
Thanks for your suggestions. The cable was a separate purchase from Abbott (separate item # etc but they came packaged together.) I am also wondering if the cable could be defective or the wrong one for this meter . I have tried a few more times and once got a "check connections" message. I will check with the company in the AM about this and the port settings question. I think jumping pins is a little beyond my abilities!
Linda
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2006, 11:23 AM #6
I'd press the company for tech support on the issue, since they're the ones with the outdated serial port interface.

24-Mar-2006, 12:52 PM #7
Smile diabetes meter upload via serial cable
Well, I spoke to the big man from California today. He is sending me a new cable in case the one I receive is defective. Apparently they have had defective cables in the past. He also suggested that I uninstall the sofrtware for my uninterruptible power supply, since it might be hijacking my serial port. I don't want to do this because I value the UPS more than my meter readings! LOL

If the new serial cable still does not work, he said I can get a Keyspan USB cable with an adapter to fit this cable and dispense with a serial connection altogether. This is the solution I prefer but I'll give the new cable one more chance when it arrives.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
Linda
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2006, 01:08 PM #8
I can't imagine why the UPS would hijack the serial port, I have five UPS systems on various systems here, and that's never been an issue. Yes, even I have "outdated" serial devices kicking around.

26-Mar-2006, 09:08 AM #9
Diabetes Meter upload via serial cable
Well, my impatience got the better of me! I bought the USB adapter and it uploaded like a charm! Problem solved.

If I had enough intellectual curiosity I would try to figure out why the serial connection didn't work but I'm throwing in the towel on this one. LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Linda
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2006, 11:17 AM #10
Wise decision!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!