Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can the wrong RAM fry computer??

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 04:01 PM #1
Can the wrong RAM fry computer??
I bought some RAM to upgrade my computer this weekend and it hasn't worked since. Apparently I bought the wrong speed, 2700 when mine uses 2100. I told out one of the old sticks and put in the new one, and the computer would not boot up at all. The power lights would come on, but it would just sit there and the monitor would say no signal.
I took out the new stick of RAM and put the old one back in, but the same thing happened. I took it into Best Buy and talked to the Geek Squad guy and he thought I could have fried it because I wasn't properly grounded when I did this. He said I should have made sure I touched something metal before doing this. I think I must have when I took the cover off my machine though. I've changed RAM in other machines before and never had a problem. Anyone have any ideas? Does it sound like I fried the computer beyond major repair? Thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 203 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Apr-2006, 04:19 PM #2
The geek squad guy basically said you put had an electro static discharge from you to your pc while fiddling around with the insides. This mainly only happens with rooms that have a carpet, wooly clothing and the like, your walking around in that type of an evironment can cause a build up that is usually released on metals. Now if you were doing it barefoot in a t-shirt and jeans with a concrete floor then I highly doubt you fried it. Can it boot up on the one good stick you didn't fool around with?

03-Apr-2006, 04:26 PM #3
the room was carpeted. I tried using the other RAM stick but the same result. I have a bad feeling its a goner, but I'm hoping somebody has a miracle cure...
Junior Member with 23 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 04:33 PM #4
does it beep at all? computer give signal of what wrong by how many times it beeps....

also try pulling out your video card and putting it back in. It is possible video card to monitor connection got loose
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 203 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 04:35 PM #5
Make sure the plugs are all in tight too, lose cords can screw you over big time.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,167 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 05:14 PM #6
Pull both ram chips out. Now power up the system and you should get a beep code that means no ram installed. If you do not get a beeping from the system, you may have damaged your mb.

If you do get a beep code, shutdown and reinstall the ram. Now check / reseat ALL connections; ie atx power, molex power, ram, ide cables, etc.

Experience: Advanced
03-Apr-2006, 05:35 PM #7
You might also have luck resetting the CMOS either by using the correct mobo jumpers or removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

03-Apr-2006, 08:52 PM #8
No, doesn't beep at all. This might be a stupid question, but where is the video card? I can't seem to find it.

03-Apr-2006, 08:54 PM #9
took out the RAM, and no beeps at all. the amber light in front was flashing, but thats about it. also the power comes on as soon as I plug it in, and the power button will not turn off the machine, the only way I can do that is by unplugging it. a lost cause?

03-Apr-2006, 08:56 PM #10
I took out the battery and replaced it with a new one, but no change. got the same result. I have some files & programs I would like to keep, if I end up getting a new computer will I be able to put my old drive(s) into the new computer? I have 2 hard drives in the other one, is it possible to add both? I know one has to be master, and the other slave so now sure how 3 would work, or if its possible. thanks to everyone who was answered me on this
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,167 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 09:16 PM #11
If there is no beep code without ram, and you have the speaker connected, that is not good. The only things that would cause that are a failed motherboard or a failed power supply.

If you have another ps that you can swap in, that is an easy way to check it.

Yes you can slave your old hd to a new system and copy whatever you want.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,184 posts.

03-Apr-2006, 09:26 PM #12
Except the OS.

03-Apr-2006, 09:55 PM #13
didn't have speakers hooked up, I was thinking the pc speaker would work. I can try it again with speakers hooked up and see what happens. Can you slave 2 drives? I'm assuming I'd need a different type of cable. But would it be better put the smaller one (main on old computer) in, copy what I want and then install the other drive (slave on old computer) on a permanent basis?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!