Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 92 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Sep-2007, 11:43 PM #16
Holy Cow!

thethiago! Jvad! You guys are godsends!

I built a new computer for my mom with an Asus P5L-VM 1394 motherboard. I got it all set up and installed all of the software on it for her, took it down to her house (220 miles away), and had forgotten to try to get her memory card reader working. Plugged it in to the open USB connector (it only fits one way!), and WHAM... I started get the USB Over Current error and could not get back in to the computer. I couldn't figure it out, and wound up bringing the computer back home with me.

I left it sitting powered off for the last two weeks and finally tonight tried to get it back online. Tried a floppy and a USB key to boot to and flash the BIOS, but no use, the error prevented any kind of booting to external devices. I got online to start working on a return to ASUS and decided to do a Google search for the error one more time, and came across this post.

I shut down the computer, turned off the power supply switch in the back and waited for the light on the MB to go out. Then I got out the manual and searched for the USB power jumpers. There was one up near the LAN connector, and it had a jumper on it in the default position. Then I found another one, the USBPW56 connector down next to the CMOS battery... lo and behold IT HAD NO JUMPER! I searched my scrap heap, found an old jumper I had saved and stuck it on in the default pin 1-2 positon.

HALLELUJAH! Boot back up to Windows XP no problem!

Thank you so much for posting here and helping me to solve this problem. I was 12 hours away from requesting a replacement from ASUS!

I'm now a TechGuy forums member and I'll be sure to make a contribution to it because I found my solution here.

Thanks!

Hudey13
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2007, 10:10 AM #17
I had the same error with a brand new P5B-MX board with nothing by the memory and processed plugged in. I called ASUS and the tech I spoke to said it was a grounding issue. I took the board out and started it up while holding it. It worked. When I put it back in, same error. When I pulled it back out, I realized I had extra standoffs on the case, one was directly underneath the back USB slots. Took the standoff out and everything works just fine.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Netword and software
08-Nov-2007, 01:28 PM #18
Thumbs up Solution! / workaround
Problem described:
One moment the pc works fine, the next (boot):

USB Over Current Status Detected.
THE PC WILL BE SHUT DOWN IN 15 SECONDS!!

Well i`v read a view posts in English,Dutch and German.
The problem is no one actually has a definitive answer of solution.
i do..

I opened up my computer case
checked the cables, are they all connected in the proper way.

I unpluged my USB cables that power the front USB connectors.
Booted my pc up, worked FINE!

Repluged that same connector, and i got the message again.
Problem solved, partially, cause now i`m 2 USB ports down.. but o well.

I registered to this forum to post the answer for everyone that searches for the error on google.

Please make this a sticky!

goodluck !

ps. dont forget to memorize how the cables where connected before you unplug them
Computer Specs
Member with 92 posts.

08-Nov-2007, 01:35 PM #19
Paradox, I posted my solution to this problem in a previous post.

The problem was that ASUS forgot to put a default jumper on the pins for one of my USB connectors.

Check all of the USB power connectors on your motherboard and make sure that they have a jumper on them in the default position (you can find the positions in your motherboard manual). You might find that one doesn't have the jumper on it and adding the jumper will bring your other 2 USB ports back to life.

Hudey123

08-Nov-2007, 08:04 PM #20
I have the same problem and i have a Asus m2n-e SLI motherboard and i get this when i start the computer.

Quote:
Warning!!! USB device over current detected!!! Please remove over-current USB device!!! System will shutdown in 20 seconds!!!
And im pretty sure i have all the jumpers on the default positions and i have looked in the manual. I even tried to change the jumpers to 2-3 pin instead but then the computer didnt boot up at all. Hope someone can helpt me i have had sooo much problems with computers latly so i just want to get things working soon.

Last edited by b0bb4n; 08-Nov-2007 at 08:40 PM..
Computer Specs

15-Nov-2007, 08:51 AM #21
Re:
Try disconnecting the front (if you have any) ports from the mobo.
if the problem presists plug them back in, and unplug the back usb ports of your pc.
try to localize the problem that way. you cant unplug them all becouse the pc needs te have a keyboard connected, else it wont work at all.

If its not in the hardware, you might have the problem becouse of faulty bios firmware.
For now, look @ the hardware.

ps. what other problems did/do you have with your pc.
Computer Specs

15-Nov-2007, 08:54 AM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudey123
Paradox, I posted my solution to this problem in a previous post.

The problem was that ASUS forgot to put a default jumper on the pins for one of my USB connectors.

Check all of the USB power connectors on your motherboard and make sure that they have a jumper on them in the default position (you can find the positions in your motherboard manual). You might find that one doesn't have the jumper on it and adding the jumper will bring your other 2 USB ports back to life.

Hudey123
Aaah ok, well i must have over read it :S
Well, thanks for the heads-up.

question tho...
If it is in the jumper settings the problem should occur the first time you boot up.
My problem came after almost a whole year without any problems..
never touched the BIOS firmware eighter..
So it had to be hardware failure..

im i right?
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2007, 03:04 PM #23
A8V Deluxe Fix for some
You will get the above message if your BIOS settings are incorrect. (For example, if you turn off USB support while the devices are connected.) To fix the problem, clear your CMOS and reboot then set your BIOS correctly.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 09:46 AM #24
Talking I got it solved by changing the motherboard-frontpanel wire poles
2 days ago I bought a new Asus motherboard F5GC-MX/1333 and other parts to assemble a desktop. it worked fine in the first day, then the second day I downloaded some microsoft updates, then it started to have the "USB device over current status detected, ...shut down.." exactly the same as all of yours.

I came to this forum, and realised the "over current" is key problem. I remember "over current" in electronics was usually due to wrongly connecting the positive pole of the power supply to the negative pole socket, and negative pole to positive pole socket.

Then I realised when I assembled this desktop and m/b, my partner said all those 3 small black connectors (Reset SW, HD LED, Pwr LED) from the front panels's wire should be facing front (the face with words on it should face opposite to the m/b). However, I didn't follow him because I think all white wires should be ground wire or negative pole (cathode). There is no instruction from Asus motherboard instruction manual about this. I plugged in those 3 small black connectors based on my own judge. Then it proves it's wrong.

After one day I finally got this automatic shut-down error. Then I recall what my partner said, and then re-plug one of the black connector, the "Reset SW", with its word side facing out. THEN I GOT BACK to WINDOWS XP, it can boot now, no problem!!

I think for me this is an anode/cathode power supply problem, if anode be plugged into cathode, it will create OVER CURRENT, then the motherboard will protect itself and shut the computer down. This is why the error in my computer occured.
Computer Specs

28-Nov-2007, 11:25 PM #25
I had the same problem with my Asus AV8 after updating the bios to the latest version from the Asus website.

After playing around with the jumpers for a day I started removing things that werenít required. To cut a long story short I removed 2 GB of ram, leaving my machine with 2 GB, my system started fine. After playing around with different memory configurations I came to the conclusion that I was better of restoring the old Bios version.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Dec-2007, 04:08 PM #26
did all I could do
Hi guys,

obviously - I have the same problem - I have done all that has been suggested by previous posts, and to no avail - I'm out of ideas and not sure how to deal with it now.

this machine is only 4 months old - are there any other ways I get passed this issue - aprt from the posts that are already up???

some one get back to me when time permits - I will get back later tonight to see what answers you guys come up with.

many thanks
Junior Member with 4 posts.

03-Dec-2007, 08:47 AM #27
The problem is power related.
In my previous post I noted that this problem was caused in my case by some of the USBPWR jumpers that select between 5V & 5VSB were missing. This suggests that ASUS are testing the 5V Voltage (not the current) is within range. Hence the problem is likely related to the PSU and how much power is being drawn from it.

So I suggest the following likely problems (when the jumpers are not missing).

1) Too many things plugged in to USB ports (obvious really). Unplug all USB devices and try again. If it works one or more device is faulty or you have too many drawing power from one USB port. Its possible they might all work if you move the devices around!

2) Another faulty component that is causing the 5V line to drop - disconnect everything and try with just your video card and one memory DIMM. Preferably if available try replacement video or memory. In particular if you have a half decent 3d video card try a cheap old PCI card as these will draw far fewer amps from your PSU (see 3b).

3) PSU problem either
a) Faulty
b) Not powerful enough for the system - which in a new system usually means its underrated - in older systems they are "tired" and/or the system has built up extra resistance over time and therefore presents a greater load.
It's possible in case b) that you might be able to use the USBPWR jumpers to switch some of the USB ports to use the 5VSB power line instead of the 5V power line (or less likely vice versa). This might be enough to put the voltage back into the acceptable range and the system might work - however your system might not be all that stable if your PSU is this close to its maximum performance.
You could check the voltage with a volt meter if you have one and know how to use it. You can use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX to see where you should test.
If you need a better PSU check the current ratings that are on the side of your current PSU and buy something with higher values particularly for the 5V line. Remember that the values are manufacturer figures - cheap ones are often vastly overstated.

4) A motherboard fault presumably affecting the 5V power.

5) A power short to earth - unlikely as I don't think it would start up your screen in this case.

6) A combination of the above.

If you have a significantly better PSU available and all the USBPWR jumpers are in place a simple first test would be to swap the PSU and give it a go.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 04:17 AM #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairapc
In my previous post I noted that this problem was caused in my case by some of the USBPWR jumpers that select between 5V & 5VSB were missing. This suggests that ASUS are testing the 5V Voltage (not the current) is within range. Hence the problem is likely related to the PSU and how much power is being drawn from it.

So I suggest the following likely problems (when the jumpers are not missing).

1) Too many things plugged in to USB ports (obvious really). Unplug all USB devices and try again. If it works one or more device is faulty or you have too many drawing power from one USB port. Its possible they might all work if you move the devices around!

2) Another faulty component that is causing the 5V line to drop - disconnect everything and try with just your video card and one memory DIMM. Preferably if available try replacement video or memory. In particular if you have a half decent 3d video card try a cheap old PCI card as these will draw far fewer amps from your PSU (see 3b).

3) PSU problem either
a) Faulty
b) Not powerful enough for the system - which in a new system usually means its underrated - in older systems they are "tired" and/or the system has built up extra resistance over time and therefore presents a greater load.
It's possible in case b) that you might be able to use the USBPWR jumpers to switch some of the USB ports to use the 5VSB power line instead of the 5V power line (or less likely vice versa). This might be enough to put the voltage back into the acceptable range and the system might work - however your system might not be all that stable if your PSU is this close to its maximum performance.
You could check the voltage with a volt meter if you have one and know how to use it. You can use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX to see where you should test.
If you need a better PSU check the current ratings that are on the side of your current PSU and buy something with higher values particularly for the 5V line. Remember that the values are manufacturer figures - cheap ones are often vastly overstated.

4) A motherboard fault presumably affecting the 5V power.

5) A power short to earth - unlikely as I don't think it would start up your screen in this case.

6) A combination of the above.

If you have a significantly better PSU available and all the USBPWR jumpers are in place a simple first test would be to swap the PSU and give it a go.

Thanks you for your reply, I have ruled out the PSU as I have a 450W packing a punch for that matter, I will how every look into some of the combination as stated above, although I have done most of them not so much in that order.

I have never used the front USB ports, nor do I want to - so I would be more then happy just to get rid of them - but removing this from the mobo had no advers effect on this on screen msg.

Just last night I'm also get a "No signal" on my screen - seems like , the more I play with this machine, the messy it gets to play with.

I'll come back tomorrow and let you know what the out come is, I'm even tempted to rebuild with another Mobo in place.

thanks again

26-Jan-2008, 11:08 AM #29
i have that same message with my Asus M2N-VM DVI(over current problem)
i finished loading the install files for windows, reset cmos, now im stuck with this problem, i have no usb devices connected,
my pc did freak when i put this new mobo and processor in, but that happens almost all the time, please help

i put in an AMD 3800+ X2 and 2GB of ADATA RAM DDR2 800
Computer Specs
Member with 92 posts.

26-Jan-2008, 01:42 PM #30
I had this problem even when no USB devices were connected. Did you check all of your USB power connectors on the motherboard to make sure that they have a pin on them in the default location? This should be labeled in your MB manual...

Also, post your computer specs, you might have an underpowered power supply...

Last edited by hudey123; 26-Jan-2008 at 01:49 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!