Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 114 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2006, 11:10 PM #1
USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds
This is the error I get on my Asus A8V Deluxe board. It was working fine a few hours ago, when I had it on the test bench. Now I put it in the case and hook everything back up , boot it up and right after Post it gives me this message. Asus has not returned my phone calls or my emails and for some reason im not really shocked.

Motherboard : Asus A8V Deluxe
Bios : 1017
CPU : AMD 64 3700+

Has anyone ever encountered this error ? or know how to bypass it ?

Thank you in advance

Daniel
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Apr-2006, 12:06 AM #2
Good Afternoon Akmorph, I would be very smartly removing the M/B and trying it on the bench once again.
I would be suspicious of the earthing tabs on the rear removeable escutcheon plate in the case interfering with the M/B sockets or something along those lines.
I sounds like some mounting problem may otherwise be involved.
qldit.
Member with 8,542 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
09-Apr-2006, 12:59 AM #3
About all boards now have USB terminals that can be connected directly to the case's front panel. About all the wires I've seen for these front panel connections are loose and could be connected in the wrong order.

Be sure yours are correct.

Of course, if you had no device connected to one of these USB terminals on the front panel, it wouldn't be the source of your problem even if you did wire it up wrong.
Computer Specs
Member with 114 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 09:10 AM #4
Thanks guys..

I looked at alot of message boards that night and it seems that this came with the 1017 BIOS Upgrade for the Asus A8N Deluxe Board. I ended up rolling my bios drivers back to 1015 and the pc has been working fine since then.

Im guessing that since so many people were having an issue with this after that update that its not my pc and something dealing with that upgrade.

Either way the pc works and is back in the gaming world once again.

Thank you for your assistance and knowledge.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 07:22 PM #5
Good Morning Akmorph, thanks for the update, that is most interesting.
Well done with the fix!
There are several cases recently where buggy BIOSes were involved.
It is a worry!
Cheers, qldit.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

01-Aug-2006, 06:32 AM #6
Sorry for a stupid question but how would I go about setting my bios drivers back to 1015 without being able to get past the USB Over Current Status Detected?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 08:41 AM #7
Did you find the cure for your motherboard?
Hi there, i see you posted the forum message below, did you get an answer anywhere because i have the same problem and dont know how to roll back the bios or fix the problem!

any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Clive.

your message:
Sorry for a stupid question but how would I go about setting my bios drivers back to 1015 without being able to get past the USB Over Current Status Detected?

Last edited by crjdriver; 20-Sep-2008 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: remove email
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 08:59 AM #8
Download the bios flash to a bootable floppy disk and boot to it and flash the bios that way.
If you say you have no floppy drive, well that's another reason to have one is all. I fail to believe how many pc's are built today without them, and for what to save $4-5.
You two should also post your questions as a new post so as not to dilute this one.
Member with 8,542 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
06-Sep-2006, 11:59 AM #9
funkykitten,

Posting your e-mail address naked and in the open on a web page is an invitation to spam disaster. After years of bliss, someone did my father-in-law that "favor" and after about three months, he was up to about 200 a day and in six months, about 375.

We had to change his address.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,140 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 12:43 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmorph
Asus has not returned my phone calls or my emails and for some reason im not really shocked.
Despite the fact that Asus has a reputation for superior MBs, their tech support is far from superior. I have tried more than once to get a response from them on issues, but when I did get one at all, it was nothing more than a stonewall. My next motherboard will not be an Asus.
Computer Specs
Member with 114 posts.

19-Oct-2006, 02:34 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
Download the bios flash to a bootable floppy disk and boot to it and flash the bios that way.
If you say you have no floppy drive, well that's another reason to have one is all. I fail to believe how many pc's are built today without them, and for what to save $4-5.
You two should also post your questions as a new post so as not to dilute this one.
I totally agree.. I wouldnt build a pc without one these days .. Although I use other excuses .. such as a MITSUMI USB2.0 & FDD DIGITAL CARD READER FA404A/404M It has a usb as well as a memory card reader built right into it. Talk about convenience and quality rolled into 1
Junior Member with 2 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 11:29 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
Even downloading to a boot-up floppy, I still can't manage to get past the error. It occurs during POST after the harddrive detection. I am actually having the same issue with a different motherboard, Asus P5L-MX. I've so far built about 50 computers with this motherboard, this is the first one acting up. Not really sure what to do with it. Like I said the boot-disk can't bootup because the error occurs before it. Any help is appreciated greatly
Junior Member with 4 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 10:16 PM #13
Just seen & fixed one of these
The Asus board that came to me had 4 jumper settings to allow wake on USB.

Pins 1-2 = +5V (normal set-up)
Pins 2-3 = +5VSB (wake on LAN) - check PSU rating for 5VSB

2 of the four jumpers were missing so no 5V supply. Hence in this case not "Over current" at all.

Anyway check your manual/motherboard for these jumper settings. You will need to have a jumper on each one be it pin 1-2 or 2-3.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

31-Aug-2007, 05:40 PM #14
Exclamation Problem Solved
I just registered to say that I went trougth a lot of Websites to find my answer for this same problem and I'm here to tell what was actually my problem.

I used the Asus EZ Flash from BIOS to update it to the latest BIOS (still beta - 1201) and the problem was not solved. Left it this way.

I tried removing the motherboard from the case, and yet no solution.

My problem was that a USBPWR jumper was MISSING. YES, that's correct. There were only three of the four jumpers needed for USBPWR on the motherboard. The problem was solved as soon as I correctly jumpered it.

Took me a while to figure that, I hope it helps someone.

Just to add: My motherboard is a P5VD2 - VM (P5VD2-VM)

Last edited by thethiago; 31-Aug-2007 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

13-Sep-2007, 12:51 PM #15
I tried unplugging things from all my USB ports, going into the bios, and incessantly restarting my computer but the thing that fixed it for me was simply turning off the power switch on the back of my power supply until the lights on the motherboard turned off then turning the switch back on and booting up the computer. It works fine now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!