Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Floppy drive keeps reading without disk

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2006, 08:55 PM #1
Floppy drive keeps reading without disk
Recently, my floppy drive reads or should say tries to read but there is no disk in the drive. I checked the button and it is not stuck. Any reason why it would do this or how to stop it from doing this? It doesn't do it all the time and is very random. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

19-Apr-2006, 11:38 PM #2
G'day honey253, that kind of thing happens occasionally when you work with programs like Word and save to a floppy disk when the same file is also saved elsewhere.
It is a pain trying to determine which file causes it but maybe giving it a floppy and trying to see what is trying to save, and what programs are running at that time might be a help.
qldit.
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Apr-2006, 11:42 PM #3
More of a downer than help but the same thing happened to me some months ago. It was excessive and even did so on initial start, for about 15 seconds. I do have a litle knowledge in that area and went through every program that could possibly be the culprit. In the end I reinstalled windows!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

20-Apr-2006, 12:27 AM #4
Yes there is a possibility that a viral problem may be involved.
Try downloading this little free A/V and I'll show you a trick with it.
http://www.s-cop.com/free-scanner.html
Acknowledge if you would like to try this idea.
qldit.
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2006, 10:28 AM #5
Question What is the trick?
I have not used the floppy drive in years and don't believe I even have a floppy disk anymore. I really do not want to reinstall Windows, it came pre-loaded on my system when I bought it and would have to purchase the CD.

Far as the free-scanner web site:
I went to the web site and read it. I have not registered yet or downloaded, 'cause you said there was a trick. So what is the trick?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 04:25 PM #6
Good Morning honey, by all means.
It is quite common for machines that are used online to be affected by malware of one kind or another, this may be spyware, adware or various kinds of sneaky programs which are used to colect information off your computer or make your computer useable to other entities for other reasons etc..

Many of these kinds of programs or files for one reason or another are undetectable using common antiviral programs and often those A/V programs are themselves crippled.

This Smartcop program operates a bit differently to usual antiviral programs and appears to have a broader scope compared to many other scanners, it also makes some detections that need to be confirmed. (as to being real threats)
It can delete problems as you may wish or simply pass them by, initially it might be an idea to pass everything by and learn what you may be dealing with.

Another interesting finding is that running the smartcop scanner with the second antivirus system loaded, but running in the monitor mode, does find various other malware that might otherwise be undetectable. This is the "trick" I mentioned.

Most normal A/V systems have multiple components these days, a scanner that operates on demand and a monitor system that monitors system activity. (plus other email and surfing components)
If you carry out a viral scan with your normal A/V and it shows clear, you would assume your system is clean, and if anything might try to run, the resident monitor element would be expected to detect it, but very often this is not the case.

The Smartcop program is only a small stand alone program that does not install to your machine or update, it simply scans whatever area is selected for scan and has pretty reliable integrity, program-wise.
If it is run on a freshly installed XP system it makes no detections.

If your normal A/V system monitor is temporarily disabled and the Smartcop scanner is run, it is interesting to observe what detections are made and their locations, and write a list of all the info (if any) as it is given, there is no need to take any action, simply an intelligence gathering exercise, so your machine remains as was.

If you determine that your existing A/V system has evidence of infection within it's system, it may be worth considering deleting that entire program and installing another A/V program.
A good example to install (free) is http://www.free-av.com/

Different circumstances need different considerations sometimes you will find hundreds of problems, worms and trojans etc.

If the other A/V system monitor is then reactivated and another scan done with smartcop it is common to find that the monitoring A/V will now make detections which are most often very real.
The action you take needs to be considered and any hits need to be researched to understand what threat they may cause or alterations they may have made to your system.
Quite often setings may have been altered or files added which may report your paswords and stuff like that.

Very often it will be determined that the best action is to do a clean system reinstall.
(as uhaligani has done)

You mention that you don't have the Windows CD, but it would be a good idea to find and retain the actual key code that your system was installed with. Often a sticker (with alpha-numeric key) is on the case somewhere,if it isn't there is a small program that can be run to allow you to record the key for use if you may have to do a reinstall.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/about_siw.html

So if you do this activity you will get an idea of how you might be affected if so.
Even if you are using a top commercial A/V program don't believe for one second it cannot be affected.
Either way it is an interesting exercise, let us know what you might find if you try this stuff.

Cheers qldit.
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2006, 10:10 PM #7
I have not had a chance to do this yet. But I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I've been very busy and plan on doing this on the up coming weekend. You provided a lot of great information and I am excited about seeing if this will fix the problem. I just wanted to let you know that I read your reply, just been too busy to do it. I'll post back afterwards to let you know how it went and if it fixes the problem. I'm really hoping it will. Thanks again.

honey253
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

25-Apr-2006, 11:31 PM #8
Good Afternoon honey, where this can become involved is where you find some nasty little devil of a thing has invaded the system where deletion or whatever may cause the thing not to work or has altered normal operating system stuff to do other things.

Some of these worms also open ports and allow others to access your machine for dubious reasons or whatever.

So learning about this stuff can create further problems.

But it is better to know rather than not!

Cheers, qldit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!