Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: HP notebook runs 10 seconds then shuts off

(!)

Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 12:26 PM #1
Solved: HP notebook runs 10 seconds then shuts off
I have an HP Pavilion notebook model XH136 that now turns on for about 10 seconds then shuts off completely. No beeps, no display, nothing. The power light comes on as does the HD light but it doesn't sound like its booting up at all during its brief activity.
I removed the HD and connected it externally to my PC and I can access it using windows explorer but I have no idea if it is bootable.
Reinstalled the HD and the problem persists.
AC adapter works fine and the battery shows 100% charge using the front panel LCD controls. Still will not boot with or without the AC power supply connected. Just powers up for the 10 seconds then shuts down. Nothing is seen on the screen at all.
I do not have another 2.5 drive to check in it.
Machine has a celeron processor, 256mb ram , 10Gig HD and runs WinXP.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thank you!
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
21-Apr-2006, 12:32 PM #2
If not under warranty re-seat the Memory....it's in one of the bottom compartments

Did you get any disks with the PC?
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 12:40 PM #3
Negative on the warranty as it is about 4 years old I think. I did re-seat the memory and even switched them around without luck. I do not have any the original disks as it was brother's ex who owned it before. I'm working on that though.
Oh, I tried one of those all-purpose 'boot any computer' disks I got off eBay but the notebook won't stay on long enough to even read it.
Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
21-Apr-2006, 12:45 PM #4
It would be either heat, a battery problem or the AC Adapter. Take out the battery and try to run on only the AC adapter.
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 12:50 PM #5
Same thing happens with the battery removed and running under AC power.
I checked the DC voltage on the adapter and it showed 19.2 volts with a rating of 18 volts so the adapter seems to be working.
I've tried powering it up after sitting overnite and it still shuts down. It hasn't run enough to get warmed up. The battery doesn't feel unusual either.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
21-Apr-2006, 01:19 PM #6
What are the CPU specs? It can certainly get hot enough to power down in less than a minute if it is a newer CPU. You may also want to check to make sure the fans are running inside the chassis. Some systems will not power up at all of the fans are not operational.
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 02:51 PM #7
Well, I know its a slow celeron CPU, not sure of the actual speed but I know it is an original one.
Re the fans: It sounds like the noise I hear when I start it up is a fan running from the left side of the notebook. I wonder if there is another one somewhere inside that may not be running. Are you saying that if there is a dead or defective fan then the system will shut down? Wow, that means I'll really have to disassemble it now.
Is there somewhere I can see a schematic of the motherboard layout? I checked the HP site but their diagrams did not include this.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2006, 04:04 PM #8
I had a laptop with a bad CPU that did the exact same symptoms. As far as the laptop most laptops have a small grille and if you feel warmish airflow the fan is running. On laptops usually there is only the 1 fan.
Member with 136 posts.

22-Apr-2006, 08:19 AM #9
Still not working. I see only one fan through the bottom grill and it turns on and runs for the 10 seconds or so the unit is on.
Any other ideas folks?
Thanks
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
22-Apr-2006, 08:22 AM #10
I would check the heatsink and fan....as that would shut it down almost immediately.

Heres a link on how to clean the heatsink

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258
Member with 43 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Apr-2006, 11:40 AM #11
I had a similar situation. I had to re seat the CPU. Remove and replace. That was the problem with mine, very similar symptoms
Account Disabled with 2,595 posts.

Experience: Web Designer
22-Apr-2006, 01:09 PM #12
my old hp notebook had some battery difficulty...on a full charge, it would last no longer than 3 seconds..kinda pathetic
Junior Member with 1 posts.

04-May-2006, 05:49 PM #13
hp pavilion
ive got the same deal going on with my notebook it was a hand me down, that someone gave up on i figured i could fix. same problems. starts for a second and then shuts off. wont even start bios or anything so i am wary to think it is the cpu.i had it checked out and the guy said it was the motherboard. but that is extremely vague to me, i am still trying to figure out what on the motherboard is not working. i think it may be a fuse or something, any guesses?
Member with 136 posts.

19-May-2006, 08:31 AM #14
Update - still broken
Well I took it to Radio Shack which is an authorized HP repair center. For $40 I learned that it is indeed the motherboard that needs to be replaced.
I declined the repair ($350 + tax) and proceeded to disassemble the thing and reassemble it to see if that would possibly fix it.
Well, it still won't run and does exactly the same thing. Turns on for a couple seconds and shuts off. I checked the fan assembly and put thermal paste under it and the fan runs fine so it isn't any issue with cooling. I reseated the CPU too but it didn't help.
I'll look on ebay but does anyone have some other good sources for some cheap motherboards?
Also, I can't figure out where the part number is printed on this mb. I tried searching on the HP site but had no success finding one so I can be precise in finding the right replacement.
Member with 136 posts.

24-May-2006, 08:57 PM #15
Smile Solved-CPU was loose
Stormmm was correct on figuring a loose CPU was the culprit. After taking the notebook apart a couple times and reassembling it I was about to give up. I decided to rip it apart one more time. When I pulled the MB out the Intel CPU fell out onto my table! Whaaat? I looked at the board and saw that the CPU locking device was really loose and not engaging properly. I did not notice this before when I had reseated it. I put the CPU back in and really pushed on the lock mechanism to hold it tight. This time there was no play in it at all.
Anyway, I reassembled everything and it booted right up.
To think that it could have cost me over $350 for something so simple to fix.
Hope this experience will help save someone else a big headache and a some cash too....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!